-27-

"Shrutiiiiii, Shruts!" A voice broke through her daydreaming, making her turn to the voice.

"Finally, sleeping beauty is awake." Simran laughed, catching the attention of Ritika and Nupur, who were passing by their table. They slowed down, straining to hear their conversation.

"Lost in your Prince Charming?" Simran asked, sighing. "How's the newfound romance?"

"It's so good, Simran." She giggled and blushed, unaware of the two listening in. "Jassi is so good, he's so attentive and kind and not to mention, he's so smart!"

"Sounds like you have the perfect man all to yourself." Nupur grinned, startling the two and they turned around, looking at them.

"Nupur, is there something you need?" Simran asked, looking at her. "Or is this a new habit of picking on people you think beneath yourself."

"Oh come off it." Ritika said, laughing. "You were one of us too, Simran. Don't act all high and mighty. Anyways, Nupur had some queries with the resident Geography scholar." She gestured to Shruti, making her rummage through her notes to hand it over to Nupur and nodded.

"I noticed you missed yesterday's class. It was quite important, exam wise."

"Thanks, Shruti. I owe you one."

-

Meera walked through the corridor, listening to everyone murmur about the Gia fiasco.

She thought she'd be happy. She thought with this preppy school, Gia would be an outcast with that sort of news. She was wrong.

People were sympathising with her. Nobody shunned her, in fact people were giving their condolences to her. It didn't matter whether she was adopted or not.

In the end, money matters. Who in their right minds will say anything to the adopted daughter of Mathur and Anandee Mehta, the people who've literally built India's own IT sector?

Meera shook her head as the thoughts ran through. It was not fair, she thought. It wasn't fair at all that she was in this position when she hadn't even done anything, Virat had.

She was stuck paying the price for it.

She came back to her reality when someone shook her arm.

"Are you okay?" A familiar voice was heard, calming her down.

"I am, thanks Hardik." Meera nodded, picking up speed to go to her class. "Listen," she turned around to face him.

"Did you tell anyone what you told me?"

"No." Hardik sighed, unable to face her. Gia's face popped up, her betrayed and sad expression dancing in front of his eyes. "I hope you've achieved whatever you wanted to." He looked at her.

Hardik thought he had a friend in Gia. She had trusted him enough to tell him about her past and he had thrown it back in her face with a big fuck you. He couldn't even begin to explain how sorry he was when she had stormed away. He'd lost a friend, just to help Meera sort out whatever revenge she'd been planning.

He really hoped she was done.

He also knew, it was just the beginning.

-

"Jasprit!" Simran ran to the gate where she spotted him, waiting for Shruti no doubt.

"Simran." He uttered, not looking at her. He had no idea why she was talking to him, not wanting to stand here with her. He began to walk away from the gate, hoping to leave her behind when she suddenly held his wrist, preventing him moving forward.

"I'm sorry." She said, taking a deep breath.

He turned around, arching one eyebrow causing Simran to let go of his wrist.

"I've never taken accountability for my actions. You were right. I was a coward and a bitch to you and I know that cheating was not the way to go. I know you'll never forgive me and I don't expect you to." She took a breath and continued. "But I need you to hear this. Jasprit, what I did was not your fault."

He took a deep breath, letting out a sigh. For 2 months after the scandal, he had wondered what had he done wrong to make Simran cheat on him so badly. He had blamed himself, cried his heart out with reasonings, had been drunk almost every night and also had been driven to cut his wrists, though his younger sister had stopped him right on time. For the longest time he couldn't understand what had driven her to betray him like that.

If she had fallen out of love with him, she should've just told him.

He wouldn't have stopped her.

To hear this, was cathartic. He couldn't believe after a year she had finally apologised, finally owned up to her mistakes.

"No matter what I say it doesn't excuse my behaviour and it shouldn't. You were the perfect boyfriend, the perfect lover. It was me that fucked up, I ruined us." She said with tears in her eyes, hoping that Jasprit believed her.

She did many things to him, break his heart and soul. Simran wasn't perfect but she did realise her mistake. She just could bear to face him and when she had finally worked up the courage to do so, she had found out that he shifted.

Hence the apology that came a year too late.

"Whatever you say won't change the fact that you broke me, Simran." Jasprit retorted in a cold voice, looking at her. "You took my heart and broke it into pieces. I don't have to forgive you if that's why you confessed." He finished, chuckling at the end.

"Or are you thinking - since Virat's not available anymore you'd come back to me?" His voice grew colder. "You're too late, Simran. I have moved on, with the most wonderful person in my life. I would kill for her." He smiled, Simran's heart breaking at that gleam of love in his eyes.

"She's my world, Simran." Jasprit continued. "She's been waiting for a long time for me to be fine. She's been with me every step of the way. I love her."

"Jasprit." Another voice whispered, Simran turned around to find Shruti standing there, with tears in her eyes at his admission. They hadn't confessed their love for one another but hearing him, she wouldn't change it for anything.

This moment was precious.

"I love you." Shruti sniffled as she walked closer to him, Simran forgotten behind.

"I love you too, my darling. I can't wait to love you right." Jasprit said as he held her hands, bringing them closer to his face and kissing it.

"I can't wait either."

Tying up loose ends or binding a rope for the earthquake to come and destroy it?
🫸🫷thank you for all the love :)🫸🫷