Chapter Twelve

The sun was at the peak of its descent when Oskar, alone, was called to the king's presence. When he arrived in the throne room, Mayor Haywood was still there. A scowl on his face as he eyed the prince. It should not have surprised him, but it was consistent with Oskar's previous encounters with the man.

"You wished to see me, Father," Oskar said as he stood at the foot of the staircase.

"I assume you have met the mayor of Fernsworth," the king replied, motioning to Haywood. "Probably during his visit yesterday?"

"Yes."

"Mayor Haywood claims you were fraternizing with an encampment in his village," the king explained, beckoning Oskar to approach. "Needless to say, he did not realize who you were until yesterday. What was it you called the people who live in the encampment, Mister Haywood?"

Oskar ascended the stairs and stood beside his father, turning to face the mayor.

"Deformed persons and rebels," the man replied, crossing his arms as he fixed Oskar with a glare. "People who have no place in Fernsworth, let alone the kingdom."

"Everyone is welcome in our kingdom," the king growled, stepping forward; his foot stomped hard on the first descending step. "Such prejudices have been frowned upon since the time of King Jaycob. You may have your opinions, Haywood, and you have the right to them. But assuming certain people do not have a place in the kingdom... One might think revolt was in your black heart."

Mayor Haywood leaned his body backward, like a tree bending at the will of a strong wind. While the scowl never left his face, there was fear in his eyes. In the king's presence, talk of revolt was treachery.

"There are more witnesses to your horrid deeds," the king went on, correcting the cuff on his left sleeve. "The people under your care, Mister Haywood. Your townspeople deserve a better livelihood than what you have offered... I do recall a letter from Jynna Haywood."

The mayor blanched at the mention of the name. Oskar briefly glanced at his father before looking back at the mayor. Was Jynna Haywood the mother he heard about?

"You exiled your own kin to the encampment," Oskar spoke as he placed his hands behind his back. "I was told she wanted to bring your cruel actions to the throne and have you removed from office. The people are hungry, struggling to survive, and live in the streets, in fear of your unwarranted wrath."

The man at the foot of the stairs shrank back. Eyes wide like fawn spooked by a wolf.

"As we speak, my generals are confiscating all documentation regarding your finances," the king explained, waving over the guards from the doorway. "Until this investigation is over, you will remain in the dungeons. If we find anything that puts your position in question, you will be stripped of your duties and incarcerated indefinitely."

"But Your Majesty," Haywood said, a pleading tone in his voice. "My position is all I have."

Oskar glanced at his father as the king said, "If you believe a position is all you have, you are not worthy of it. I understand the difficulty to hear a king, a man of royal blood, saying this to you. Had you been more mindful of your handling of the town, this would not happen... Guards, take him away."

The prince looked back at Mayor Haywood, expecting him to be riled up. Much to Oskar's surprise, Haywood did not protest his detainment though he shot the prince a final glare before the guards escorted him out of the throne room.

It was here the king placed his hand on Oskar's shoulder.

"I will judge your actions now, son," he said, clearing his throat as he faced the prince.