Chapter 1: Isabelle

The Government mandates that all public and semi-private spaces must have government-monitored surveillance systems. Every building, public vehicle, and public area must be equipped with cameras and audio recording devices that feed directly into the central government database Videre. Citizens are required to have a personal identification card that records their location after curfew to be monitored by Videre.

The Nova Surveillance Act of 2269

***

I am a traitor. I didn't want to be one, but this society has a way of twisting everything good and turning it against itself. I've seen friends turn on friends, family turn on family, all for a life that will chew them up and spit them back out because they never stood a chance.
In the past two years I've played my part, my role in this ever turning machine. I traded in my studies for factory work. Making clothes for the elite was not my life goal, but you do what you have to do to get by.

Today has been especially hot, not even the open windows in the factory offer any relief. Mr. Stone, a-60-something year old man with graying hair and eyes that seem to see everything, is doing his daily rounds. Today he is wearing the usual, black slacks and white blouse. He's slowly making his way through the rows of women with garments in their hands, sewing the finishing touches of this weeks orders. Every so often he stops to inspect the work and gently urges the woman to work a little faster. I guess I can't complain about Mr. Stone, he's a tough boss but at least he's kind.

When he checks on my progress he gives me his usual pat on the shoulder letting me know I'm doing good and to keep it up.

"I swear Mr. Stone has not aged in like 10 years." Liz whispers once he's out of earshot

"You say that every time you see him." I laugh.

Liz, with her big blue eyes and bright face, plays shocked. "It's true! If I ever get to his age, I hope I look half as good as he does."

"If we ever get to his age, I hope we're not working here." I retort.

We speak in ifs a lot. If we could go anywhere. If we found a better paying job. If we could have stayed in school. The ifs let us imagine a better life when we are stuck in this soul-crushing one.

Liz always knows what to say to get me to laugh. We'd never really hung out when we were in school, we ran in different crowds. It wasn't until I started working at the factory and was assigned a spot next to her that we hit it off. Liz always seemed unapproachable in our school years because she always had people around her, now I know it's because she's a people person. Liz makes anyone she's talking to feel like they are the most important person in the room. She listens, actually listens, and tries to see the positive in every situation. Liz is like the ray of sunshine on a cloudy day.

Liz goes on about Mr. Stone for a while. Since Liz was a year ahead of me in school, she also dropped out a year before I did and began working at the factory. Her home life is similar to mine. We both have one older sibling-Liz a sister and me a brother. We both have one parent in our lives-except Mrs. Boland lost her husband in a mining accident and my mother walked out on us. Both of our parents travel for work leaving us alone for extended periods of time. Liz and I bonded over our similarities and she's been a big support system especially in the last few months since my brother, Roman, has been more distant.

"For our monthly splurge, I think we should go to that new spot that opened up in Block 6." Liz looks at me with a devious smile.

"I don't think we could afford anything in there." I pointed out.

Liz gives me a knowing look, but continues. "I know that, but if we get all dressed up maybe someone will buy us a drink or something. Can't hurt to go and see what it's like, right?"

I know what she's trying to do. She's trying to get me to have fun and get me out of my comfort zone. I raise my eyebrow at her like I'm thinking about it, but I know that she has already convinced me.

"I guess we can check it out. If anything, at least we could check out how the better offs are doing."

"That's the spirit!" Liz is beaming with excitement and by the time the shift bell rings, she's already done with her work for the day.

As I pack my bag and head out with Liz, the chatter of the other workers picks up. The street outside is bustling with people, but there is a slight breeze that is weaving its way through the crowd. Buildings around us, having lost their colors long ago, tower towards the clear sky. Some of the windows are open allowing a mixture of indistinct chatter and sounds of machinery to flow out into the street.

San Francisco used to be a vibrant place back in the day, but it's mostly nothing but shades of beige and gray with sprinkles of worn red and green. Liz and I go our separate ways by the old bookshop down the road. What was once a rich forest green building with gold accents on the windows is now a pale sage color lacking any life. Surveillance cameras line every street on my way home, watching me almost every moment of every day. When I finally turn the corner to my street, I'm all to happy to see the dingy apartment building that's seen better days.