Relinquish (Mahirat )

A/N - Today I have nothing to say. Just one of those days; an angsty mind with no real reason. Will look forward to your thoughts.

MS was walking around the hotel campus, the night air cool on his sweaty skin and tempering down his heated thoughts. It was quite late, the alert for 12.00 AM having sounded on his mobile a while back. He couldn't be bothered with dragging out the device to check for the actual time nor did he care too much. Tomorrow was just a practice day and he had played entire matches with lesser sleep.

A particularly cold gust of wind rushed by and he shivered violently. That he was wearing just a basic t-shirt in these chilly surroundings was not lost on him and he chucked to himself; the Captain Cool was not living up to his reputation at all. Some people would have a gala time.

He found a rock in the path and spent a couple of carefree minutes kicking it around, daydreaming that he was a Footballer and not a Cricketer; life, probably, would have been lacklustre but peaceful.

"Stupid thoughts, Mahi. Stop thinking stupid thoughts." He murmured to himself and with a particularly good kick, placed the rock into the bushes. "You are getting quite batty."

"Speaking to yourself is never a good sign!"

MS's heart jumped in his chest cavity and he placed a bracing hand on it. "Would you stop trying to give me a heart attack, Virat?"

"How about no?"

Virat Kohli, his Vice-Captain, his friend, quite akin a brother and the last person he wanted to see just now; MS sighed. The man-child was a brat at the best of times and this was so not a good time.

"Virat, was there anything you needed?"

The kid shook his head. "Not really. Just wanted to accompany my Captain on his midnight stroll."

The ignored emotions in MS stirred violently and caused his heart to ache. The words caused the wounds to abrade and he almost tripped over his feet.

"Careful, Bhai!" Virat reached out and his hands held unto MS's elbow. "You okay?"

"Thanks." MS nodded and shook away from the hold. "I would prefer to have some time to myself, Virat."

"Are you asking me to leave?"

"For now? Yes." MS continued with his walk and though he had had an inkling that Virat may not listen to him, he had been hoping against hope that he would.

And of course, Virat was not to be deterred.

"But I do not wish to leave, Mahi Bhai. I am so not sleepy and it is boring to walk alone. Please?"

The bit of childishness which always stuck to Virat usually gladdened MS's heart but , for now, it acted to further sour his mood. A part of him, the petty snappy part, tried to barge in with its own perspective about how Virat was just putting on a show but the larger Mahi Bhai part of him firmly pushed it down.

Virat did absolutely nothing just for the sake of putting on a show and even in his puniness, MS refused to let himself hurt the boy with falsitude.

"Mahi Bhai?"

MS stopped, breathed in and turned to face Virat. "Is there something you really need? Like, right now?" Maybe the approach was too direct but a sudden wave of tiredness had stole over MS and rendered him quite exasperated; he had just wanted a few moments of quiet contemplation.

Virat held a look of seriousness on his face. "Is there a real need for you to remain alone, MS?" He had dropped all pretences and a wave of worry now travelled over his face.