15 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ crawlers, carryalls, and calls

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌖 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

fifteen

'No one gets left behind.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌖 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

"Sunrise warning, all workers. Temperature today will reach 140 degrees. We are currently 90 degrees, and in 10 minutes, we will hit 120 degrees. Last warning call."

Several old and rusty harvesters need repair. Very few carryalls grab said harvesters and take off with them.

One settles down upon landing, shooting hooks on all four corners before deploying several airbags. Slowly, the mighty beast of metal ascends and is carried out into the open desert.

A figure stands by a waiting ornithopter as Leto, Paul, (Y/N) and Gurney emerge from the Residency, all wearing stillsuits, heading to the aircraft bay with soldiers on their flanks.

The figure removes their hood as they approach to reveal a dark-skinned woman who wears a stillsuit and desert robes. A tall, lean woman in her forties who exudes pride and intelligence.

"The Judge of the Change, sire," Gurney says as they approach, Paul glancing at his wife to ensure she's with him. "Dr. Liet Kynes."

"My Lord Duke." She bows solemnly, meeting Leto's eyes boldly. "Welcome to Arrakis."

"You're the Imperial Ecologist," Paul says. "Thank you for the stillsuits."

"They are of Fremen make." She answers. "The best. With your permission sire, I must check the integrity of your suit..." She steps forward, Gurney immediately unsheathing his knife, his guard up.

"Whoa." Leto softly says as knives are held to Kynes' neck, making her stop in her tracks, though she doesn't flinch at all. "It's all right." He adds with a hand on Gurney's shoulder. "It's all right."

Slowly, Gurney and the soldiers lower their weapons, and Leto chuckles lightly.

"Dr. Kynes, we're in your hands."

She places her hands on his shoulders, explaining as she checks how well he did in putting on such an outfit. "A stillsuit is a high-efficiency filtration system." She tugs at the back of his shoulder, making many minor adjustments as she goes, and Paul and (Y/N) watch with curiosity. "Even this early in the morning, you wouldn't survive two hours without one of these." She crouches down behind him, adjusting the straps on the backs of his ankles. "It cools the body and recycles the water lost to sweat." She moves to do the same to Gurney. "Your body's movements provide the power." She stands, Gurney eyeing her. "Inside the mask, you'll find a tube to allow you to drink the recycled water."

Leto hums in acknowledgment.

"In good working order, your suit won't lose more than a thimbleful of water a day."

"Most impressive."

"Let's have a look at you, lass." Paul steps back to let Dr. Kynes work on his wife, but he keeps a close eye on her.

Upon further inspection, there's not a single strap out of place.

"You've... worn a stillsuit before?"

"No, this is our first time," she says, shaking her head and looking at Paul.

Kynes looks up at the woman before her gaze flits to her feet. "Your desert boots are fitted slip-fashion at the ankles. Who taught you to do that?"