Chapter 62 - The Swordmen

The mage's jaw dropped, his golden eyes widened. And he watched the werecat's ears flattened back in wonder.

"Holy..., dude!" Maven yelled in shock, his eyes shifting up and down, examining the small werecat in front of him. "No way, no- You can't be her boyfriend, I know my sister too well and-" He laughed nervously, the mage seemed to be in disbelief.

Mocha's eyes narrowed, "If you know her too well you'll probably accept it by now." He pouted.

"I mean you are her type, but... Damn bro, I didn't expect this when I got home." The little brother muttered, his hand scratching the back of his head. "How did this even happen?"

"It's a long story." Mocha sighed. "My name is Mocha, and you... Must be Maven?" Politely he recalled his name, as he remembered at the edge of his mind that someone had mentioned before.

"Yes, Maven Faust Roesia. Nice to meet ya." The mage extended his hand, offering a wry smile as if he hadn't tried to murder his sister's boyfriend before. "Sorry, about this. I thought that you were some corrupted immortal tryna rob my sister."

A sense of disbelief filled Maven's chest like a heavy weight, causing him to take a moment to fully process everything that had transpired. The rumors of his sister's bounty had been shocking in their own right, but now, he was faced with the startling realization that his own sister had been leading a life completely different from the one he had assumed. Not only had she been stepping out of the world way too often.

But she had also been allowing a man to live in her own house.

"And you're not immortal, totally." He shut his eyes, clearing his throat as his hand lifted in a sass. "What are you a failed experiment? Did- Did she do this to you?" He started to panic, his finger pointing and gesturing.

Hazel orbs rolled at Maven, Mocha scoffed. "No, and Felicia is trying to figure out what I am." He hugged himself, looking away.

His eyes widened in realization as his mouth let out an inaudible 'ah'.

Mocha's ears began to twitch, and his tail swayed uncomfortably. Maven noticed the change of behavior and decided to reassure him.

"Hey, I mean- it's not that bad, usually I despise all men tryna approach my sister. But you're a green light! Cheer up!" He offered a hand five. Maven smiled genuinely as he tried to lighten up the mood, he didn't want to upset his sister's love, for sure.

"Well, thanks. That's nice to hear from the brother." He stood on his toes to reach his hand.

"And you're pretty skillful in your sword, maybe we can train sometimes?" Maven flashed a grin as he already noticed before the werecat's sword skills - a shared passion that sparked an instant connection.

"Oh, sure! I'd like that!" Mocha chirped in glee, finding new entertainment.

"Okay." He sighed, tossing his coat on the sofa "This is a lot, actually. After all these years I took care of her. This is all I get?" He shook his head as he muttered to himself. "Can you even believe this, dude?"

Mocha's ears perked up at his remarks, "What do you mean?"

"I don't know, man. I tried so hard to not let her fall into corruption again. She has to stay here until I figure out how to remove it." Maven uttered. His mind conjured up an image of the artifact that could potentially save his sister.

Speaking of the relic and his sister, "Where is she?" He asked.

"She went out for a hangout, with someone named Danial." The werecat snarked.

"Oh, that dude. I guess it's fine."

Both of the pair finally paid attention to the place they stood. The cluttered state of the living room was a stark reminder of the recent sword fight they had endured, and they both knew that it was time to put in the effort to tidy up before the creator got back home.