MARSHAL'S LAW #1: LIVE EACH DAY WITH COURAGE

Marshal’s Law #1: Live Each Day With Courage

“We’re just at an age when life takes more than it gives, I guess,” Roxie muttered.

Monica sighed, the solemn weight of the room bearing down on her.  She dipped her head away from her sister and her thick, dark hair fell over her face, hiding her for just a moment.  This was harder than she thought it’d be.

“I know,” Corine agreed, hiding her expression behind a sip of punch.  “This is the third funeral I’ve had to go to in two weeks.”

“Yeah, but Greg?” Roxie said. “I mean, come on.  The guy jogged.

Monica tried to shrug off the grief that clenched her heart and pulled at the corners of her lips.  “These things happen,” she offered dismissively, her voice strangled.

After all, it’d happened to her.

Casting her eyes to the new widow, Monica’s throat swelled shut.  It was only three years ago that she’d sat in a similar chair, accepting condolences.  She’d come to support Erika, to promise her that there was, indeed, life after this . . . horror; but the entire scenario echoed her own poignant memories.

“I’ve got to get back,” Monica muttered. “The sitter’s got a date tonight.”

Roxie smiled flatly. “Those kids don’t need a sitter,” she said, and followed Monica to the door.  Without much else to do, Corine walked with them.  “When are you going to realize that Ashley’s nearly grown?”

“Never,” Monica countered, her voice a bit sharp.

Corine laughed at the sisters.  Monica sighed and gave her friend an apologetic look. The arguments never stopped.  She and Roxie were as different as they looked. With dark hair and lavender-blue eyes, Monica didn’t seek to change herself.  Roxie, on the other hand, kept her hair peroxide blonde and her eyelids bright blue.  

“How about you, Monica?  I haven’t seen you much.”

Monica shrugged, but Roxie answered for her. “That’s because she doesn’t go anywhere.  Ever.  Unless it’s for her kids.”

With a few rapid blinks, Monica lifted her eyes to her sister’s gaze. “That’s not true.”

“Yes it is,” Roxie said.  “You name me one thing you’ve done for yourself.  Without the kids.”

Without the kids? Monica silently repeated to herself and stopped on the door threshold, stumped.  She couldn’t remember doing anything without the kids.  With Jason gone, they were her life.

“See?” Roxie said, knocking her shoulder. “All she does is work.  From home.”

“The kids need me,” she replied flatly, but she twisted her wedding ring, bothered by the revelation.  Her business hadn’t been doing well.  There simply wasn’t a lot of freelance work in a town this small.

“But, what about you?” Corine asked, pity in her eyes.  “You need things too, Monica.”

“I know of at least one place that’s dying to get their Marketing Manager back . . .” Roxie added.

Monica stopped.  Hesitantly, she turned to look over her shoulder. “I thought you filled that position.”

“Three times,” Roxie said, and rushed across the sidewalk to face Monica squarely. “The last one just gave his notice this morning.  It would seem that we’re a good stepping stone.”  She huffed a bitter sound. “No one wants to stick around this small town, Monica.  You know that.  And  Blake?  He just doesn’t go for those freelance types.  He wants someone invested in his city.”