Chapter 01

For as long as I could remember, I would sit in my bedroom, staring out my small window into the streets of the neighbourhood I grew up in.

My life was different from what it is now. I grew up in a home with my mother, who was more like a friend than a parent to me.

My father ran away after impregnating my mom at the age of 16, which meant I never knew my father, but that never seemed to matter to me.

My mom used to say, "Men are dogs, and must be trained." And I believed that.

I grew up a stubborn girl, in a home with a feminist for a mother. A mother who adored me and I adored back.

But sitting in my new dorm room, staring out the large window into campus, I realise how my life will most definitely change.

I lived in a shell, the shell of Gloria Benson, my mother. The day I left my home and came to study, was the day I broke from that shell, and so a new life has opened right in front of me.

"Olivia?" I hear my roommate call from behind me, causing me to look over at her.

"Hey." I smile. I stand up from my bed and glance around our shared room, straightening my shirt out.

"Are you ready for lunch?" She questions.

I nod my head slightly and follow her towards the door, locking it once we step out.

"This place is so big, I don't think I'll ever find my way back if I leave these dorms." I laugh quietly, noticing the amusement her blue eyes hold.

"You'll get used to it. It took me a week in my first year, but it's like a new home, you just have to be here long enough to find your way around." She grins.

"That would be a really large home if you ask me." I joke, earning a short giggle from her.

I stay by her side as we walk down the steps of the large white building, biting my lip as I watch her slip her sunglasses over her eyes. "Beside, this is your third day here, you've barely been out the room."

"I guess you're right." I agree with her. I glance around me, frowning at the large amount of students scattering all around us.

"Hope you don't mind, but I invited some friends, it's important to get to know as many people as you possibly can, they can show you around if you ever happen to bump into any of them and need directions to a class." I simply nod, ignoring the lump in my throat at the thought of meeting new people. Being able to tell her my name the first day I got here was hard enough.

I notice the way her small body moves slower than mine as we approach a small pub, her legs shorter than mine and her steps smaller.

Fiona is a beautiful girl, reaching about 5'4, as I reach 5'7, her hair long and dark while her eyes shine a baby blue. Her body slightly more curved than mine.

"You coming?" She asked as she steps into the pub. I look down, noticing that I have frozen in my footsteps.

"Uh, yeah." I smile a nervous smile and follow her inside.

I look down as we pass tables filled with student, my cheeks flaming for no reason.

"Hey Fiona!" My head snaps up at the mention of her name and I watch her clap her hands together before smiling at the boy sitting by a table, scattered with many other people.

"Here they are." She tells me and grabs my hand.

Before I know it, we are standing in front of the large table and everyone's eyes seem to be glued to me.