Introduction

In this world, the percentage of discovered and recorded species amounts to an estimated 24%. In the left over 84%, they have been expected to adapt without interference from the human species. Some would’ve had to have grown smart- had to have adapted with the ever changing environment.

Some could hide in the sea, having learnt how to avoid boats and defend against the many sea creatures, both known and unknown. Some could hide in the forest, forever migrating to adapt to deforestation, but strong and independent. Some could hide in the sky, merely preferring the freedom above ground, and learning when to hide, and for how long.

However, what if they’d learnt how to live in our cities, despite the danger? Perhaps hiding in their respective area was beginning to appear harder and harder as the years went by, until part of that 84% had been forced into urban life. They would’ve had to learn to talk like us, to behave like us, and to look like us. They would have to pass children on the street every day, perhaps they would help older women cross the street. Perhaps they’d join in with the fashion trends, and maybe compliment a stranger in the elevator.

What if our fumes made them sick, however, and eventually caused their death? Of course, further adaptions would have to be developed to survive, but what of those species that simply couldn’t change fast enough? They would merely die, of course. Although these species remain undiscovered, they certainly aren’t exempt from death. Survival of the fittest, after all.

In this world, the percentage of discovered and recorded species amounts to an estimated 24%. In the left over 84%, there is a great chance that they’ve adapted around the urban lifestyle.

Perhaps they’d even chosen to join it.