After

Before it happened she had a name and a family, but now she was only the Old Woman. Names were important to everyone before it happened; they provided identity and connections. Names gave a person the purpose of building his. Names create memories and drive aspirations. Names were hope and nostalgia and legacy. Yes, names were important, but that was before it happened. Now, long after it happened, names were power and sometimes fear. Those who still kept names did so to be known, and that was a dangerous privilege that few sought out. 

Most let go of their names after it happened, using anonymity as their shield. The Old Woman shed her name soon after it happened, and that had kept her alive. No one cared about an Old Woman, for she was one of many. She offered nothing of value to the world around her, and existed only to die later, as did most. Taking notice of one Old Woman would be a waste of energy and time, both of which were sparse and valuable. 

The Old Woman walked alone, unnoticed. Only her footsteps served as memory of her passing, for no one else could be bothered. If she took notice of the others she passed on her travels, it will never be known. The Old Woman shed her voice when she shed her name, right after it happened.