You're Such A Dork, Dan

Summary: Dan takes Phil out on a date, trying to make it really perfect and everything. Problem is: Phil doesn’t even know he’s on a date. 

Warnings: none

Word count: 1,729 

-o-

“Daaan. Where are we going?”, Phil whined as I guided him through the busy streets of London’s night life.

I ignored his question completely and only speeded up, so we wouldn’t be late for our reservation in that fancy restaurant, I’ve wanted to take Phil out to since the day I realized my feelings for him.

Not that he knew.

Oh man, Phil didn’t even know that we actually were on some kind of date, but he most likely would know at the end of the day. Because I finally decided to admit my feelings for him.

No matter whether he liked me back or not, I just didn’t want to keep something from him any more  After all he was my best friend and trusted me with everything - so wouldn’t it only be fair if I did so as well?  

We’ve already spent the whole afternoon together, walking around in London, drinking coffee at Starbucks and just enjoying the beautiful sunny autumn day.

I sighed in relief as the restaurant finally got in sight and grabbed Phil’s hand and quickly dragged him with me.

“Uhm, you know, Dan, that restaurant looks pretty awesome. But I don’t think we can afford to eat here. It’s really expensive-looking”, Phil informed me as I stopped in front of it.

“Don’t worry about the money, Phil. My treat”, I gave him a little smile and walked through the door, Phil’s hand still loosely in mine. Not that I’d complain, but I was quite surprised Phil didn’t pull away.

We were lead to the table I had reserved and Phil gave my hand a little squeeze, before he let go and sat down. I looked up and gave him a little shy smile, which he immediately returned. Maybe what I wanted wasn’t as hard to get as I thought?

Our eyes were still locked as the waitress arrived at our table, handing us the menu. I was about to order some drinks for me and Phil, when I noticed the seductive look the waitress was giving Phil, making him obviously uncomfortable.

I didn’t even think twice about my next action, only wanting to show the waitress that Phil was mine, or most likely would be mine soon enough.

I reached over the table and took one of Phil’s hands in mine, squeezing it slightly and smiling at him sweetly, putting not all of it, but a lot more than usual of my love into it. Phil blushed slightly and looked from me to the waitress, which were inspecting our locked hands now, giving her an apologizing smile, as he started to slowly stroke over my knuckles with his thumb. 

The waitress looked at our locked hands and back at Dan in disgust, but I didn’t care, because at least she took our orders and finally left me and Phil alone. 

I was about to pull my hand back again, so Phil wouldn’t get too uncomfortable, but was stopped as his grip around my fingers tightened. I gave him a confused look. Not that I didn’t enjoy every second of holding my crush’s hand, but since when was Phil that touchy-feely, not that I’d complain.

"In case the waitress comes back and continues hitting on me", Phil explained, giving me a shy smile. “I mean, only if it’s okay for you. I don’t want you to do something you’re uncomfortable with", Phil rushed with his words and his eyes widened slightly. 

A little, probably really girly-ish giggle escaped my lips and I quickly bit down on it to hold more back. “No, it’s alright. Don’t worry", I gave him a reassuring smile and he casually continued softly stroking my knuckles again, while looking through the menu.

I did the same, but couldn’t quite concentrate, since my thoughts always trailed off to Phil’s hand in mine.  

“Jesus, Dan. You know that every single meal here costs over 35 pounds, right? I know you said, it’s your treat, but isn’t that a little bit too much to spend for only one night?”, Phil asked worriedly.

I bit down on my lip to prevent the grin that was tugging on the corners of my mouth. Phil just was too adorable sometimes – always thinking about others.

“Nah, just take what you want”, I told him and he nodded still not fully convinced.

After a few minutes the waitress from earlier appeared at our table again, still giving our hands dirty looks, and brought our drinks. We then ordered our meals, which were brought quite quickly.

I smiled at Phil slightly and then took my hand away from his so we could both eat the expensive food on our plates, while we continued talking about random things, like we always did.

“Would you like a dessert now?”, I asked Phil when both finished eating.

He thought about that for a moment, but then shook his head. “Nah, I’m full. And I also don’t want you to spend another 30 pounds on something we could buy for 10.”

I shook my head in amusement. “You really are too cute sometimes", I laughed, but stopped as I realized what I had just said. Phil just continued smiling smiling as if he had taken it as a joke, which he probably did. 

"Of course I am", Phil replied sarcastically and rolled his eyes, but you could tell he was at least a little bit flattered, since his face slightly turned red and he averted his gaze. 

I was about to answer, when the waitress walked up to our table again. “Is everything alright? Do you want a dessert maybe?”, she asked, politely giving as a fake-smile. 

“Yes, everything’s fine, but we’d like to pay now”, I answered, rather looking at Phil than her though. He was still looking at his lap, fumbling with his hands. 

The waitress carried our empty plates away and then came back with the bill. I paid for everything and also gave her a undeserved tip. She was a terrible excuse for a waitress, but her hitting on Phil after all was the reason for us holding hands earlier.

Phil and I both stood up and I grabbed my best friend’s hand, slowly intertwining our fingers. Phil probably thought I did it to annoy the waitress, but in reality I just couldn’t help myself. 

We walked out of the restaurant, but I still held a firm grip on Phil’s hand, enjoying the feeling as long as it would last. 

"Wait, our flat isn’t that way", Phil interrupted my thoughts, as he realized I wasn’t going home yet. 

"That’s right. It isn’t", I agreed and grinned as Phil gave me an annoyed look for not telling him where we actually were going.  

We walked for about 15 minutes when we arrived at a beautiful park, only lit up by the bright moon light, making it a lot more romantic than I had hoped it’d be. 

"Dan, what are we doing here?", Phil asked confused as I dragged him to the centre of it heading to the little pond there. 

It looked unbelievable beautiful. The water was pitch black and shimmered magical in the milky moonlight. 

Phil gasped at the sight. I slowly walked up to a bench at the edge of the pond and sat down, gesturing Phil to do the same. I carefully took Phil’s hand in mine again and started to nervously play with his fingers, thinking how I should start with my confession.

"Phil…", I started and waited for him to look up at me. As he did I locked eyes with him and took a deep breath, before eventually doing what I’ve been planning to do for years. 

"I- I really have no idea how to do this.. But there’s something, something really important, that I need to tell you. 
Ever since I first met you, there has always been this feeling. I could never quite put a hand on it. Until that one day we were playing Sonic in our old flat back in Manchester. 
You- You looked so utterly happy and pleased with yourself. And you laughed at me for my terrible gaming skills. And I noticed how your tongue would poke out of your mouth every time you laughed. I couldn’t help myself but think how adorable you looked like that. And how incredible beautiful. Gorgeous. Stunning. Words aren’t enough to describe your beauty. 
And back then, I finally realised what this feeling was. It was love. 
I couldn’t help but fall even harder for you every single day. All the little things you did, still do, made me realize how perfect you are. You may have flaws like everyone has, but these little imperfections only make you as perfect as you are for me. 
I’m totally rambling now, but… I love you, Phil. I’m completely utterly in love with you. And I understand if you don’t feel the same, but I really hope this won’t affect our friendship in a bad way. Because I couldn’t bear living without you. You make my life worth living. I- I love you…"

I didn’t dare to look up, too scared of Phil’s reaction. Minutes went by without neither of us saying anything. Phil’s hand was still in mine, but he showed no reaction. 

"Is that the reason why we had dinner in that fancy and ridiculous overpriced restaurant tonight?", Phil asked and I looked up at him confused. I just confessed my love for him and that’s the first thing he had to say?

"Because if that’s so, then that’s really sweet and adorable of you, but also really stupid. Spending so much money just to tell me something you could’ve while having take-away at home in our flat", Phil giggled, but only confused me even more.

"What? Phil, didn’t you hear what I said? What are you going on about?", I asked confused.

"Oh, Dan. You’re such a dork. There was no need to put so much effort into this. I’d have been happy if you just told me your feelings. Because, like it or not, I love you too. You’re the most amazing person ever and I really, really love you", Phil grinned at me happily and before I could reply our lips were pressed together in a sweet and tender kiss.

The best date either of us has ever had.