The Better Man Chapter 1

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BY STILL MOMENTS PUBLISHING.

Lorelei Warren is facing every bride’s nightmare; she’s been left at the altar with nothing but a Dear Jane letter from the cheating groom, and a church full of friends and family. Will Draper, her best friend and the best man is there to pick up the pieces. He’s been in love with Lorelei for years and he can’t resist her. Now Lori has to decide what direction her life will head, especially when it comes to Will. Can she risk losing his friendship or is what she feels for Will worth pursuing?

Chapter One

“…I hope someday you’ll forgive me.”

The tears rolling off Lorelei’s cheek fell onto the single sheet of paper, turning the signature into a splotch of blue ink. She didn’t have to see the frigging signature anyway. This was the second time she’d read the damned letter. The bastard! The rotten, lousy, son of a bitch bastard! She leaned back against the wall and slid down until she settled in a cloud of white tulle.

Her fist closed around the letter. She crumpled it into a tight ball and threw it across the floor. The paper ball bounced once and rolled up against the shiny black toe of Will’s dress shoe.

“I’m really sorry, Lori.” Will stepped over the crumpled note.

“It’s not your fault, is it? Did you make it all happen?” Lori glared up at the man. He’d shed the black tux jacket and tie.

“No, but I can be sorry anyway, can’t I?”

Lori furrowed her brows and dragged the wispy white veil from her hair.

It made her head ache. She balled it up like she had the letter and tossed it as far away as possible. Unfortunately, the light material didn’t go far. It parachuted open and floated gracefully to the floor, pure white against the rich, dark-red carpet.

“What are you doing here anyway?” Angrily, she swiped at the tears in her eyes with her pristine, white, elbow-length glove, ruining the material with an ugly black smear of mascara.

“I’m concerned about you.”

Lori continued to glare. “Shouldn’t you be with him? After all, you are his best man.”

Will’s jaw tensed and his eyes narrowed slightly, but otherwise he remained still, his gaze firmly holding hers.

“I’m your friend, too. More your friend than his. Don’t think I condone his choice.”

Deep down she believed him, but for the moment, she kept him lumped in the same category as her runaway groom, an easy target for her anger and disappointment. She didn’t want pity from Will or anyone else. She couldn’t deal with the shame and embarrassment she would encounter as a jilted bride. Her stomach churned at the thought. She was tempted to curl up into a tight ball and wait for everyone to leave.

“Is everyone still out there?” She shifted her gaze down to the black mascara stain on her glove. She peeled the glove off and let it drop onto her lap.

“Most of Brian’s side left. His parents are still out there. I think they’re pretty horrified over this and want to say something to you. Your bridesmaids are ready to bust the door down to get to you and smother you with support, and I think your parents and brother are plotting Brian’s demise.”

Always the comic. A smile tugged at her mouth but died before it could completely form. The heartbreak pulled her down, along with the black anger.

Her fingers tightened around the lacy skirt of her gown. If only it were Brian’s neck.

She leaned back against the wall, closed her eyes, and relaxed her fists in a half-hearted attempt to squash the fury simmering deep inside. She wanted to block out any reminder of what was supposed to be the happiest day of her life, like the sight of the bouquet she’d hurled against the wall after reading Brian’s letter. She had no idea where the one-carat diamond engagement ring she’d sent flying across the room had gone. She didn’t give a good goddamn, either. Slowly, in the silence broken by Will’s even breathing, Lori let her anger recede, if only for a moment.