Prologue

Third Person POV

Eliot was sitting in a chair at the Brew Pub, reading the newspaper like he did every day. Nate sat at a booth near the door, just in case a client came in. Hardison and Parker were in the other room. Sophie sat with Nate. Everything was just like it always had been. Then Eliot's phone rang.

"Hello?" he answered. It was his sister. "Hey, Chelsea, how are you?"

"Not so good. I hate to do this, but I have a favor to ask you. Remember when I told you that we were expecting a new neighbor?"

"Yeah. A man was moving in down the street from you. What's wrong?"

"It turns out he is a registered sex offender. He's gone to prison for messing around with young girls. I'm scared for Amelia."

"You need me to take her for a while, don't you?"

"Just until we figure something else out."

"How old is she now, anyway? Six or seven?"

"She's fifteen. You haven't seen her in seven years, and she's really excited about seeing you again."

"I'm excited to see her, too. The gang will love her. I just have to make sure Parker doesn't get her into being a thief."

"I'm starting to be glad I'm not clear on all the details of your job."

"When are you bringing her down here?"

"I was hoping as soon as possible."

"Any time is good. You could even bring her up here tomorrow if you could and wanted to."

"Great! I guess I'll see you within the week! I'll call you when we get on the road."

"Be safe. I'll let the team know. Bye," he hung up and sighed. His niece, Amelia, who he loved to death, was going to be staying with him until further notice. He began thinking about what he told her the last time he saw her...

"Do you really have to leave?" the seven-year-old girl asked her uncle.

"I wish I didn't, but I have to. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you more!" she exclaimed, throwing her tiny arms around his neck. He held her even closer than he had been. This little angel was the reason he didn't kill himself after the things he had done.

Parker, Hardison and Sophie saw the sad/dreamy look on Eliot's face as they came over to him.

"Something's wrong with him. He's smiling," Parker commented as they sat around him.

"Nothing's wrong," he said. "My niece is coming to stay with us for a while. I'm the happiest person in the world."