Chapter 1 - the Artifact

On the west road to Moonshine city, a hooded traveler wearing a blue robe, wielding a large staff approached the city gates. When he passed by one of the buildings just outside the city, he looked at it with affection and a satisfied expression and smiled. It used to be his property, that building. Long ago he had created something inside for all the world to use. He had traveled the world and marked every location down upon runes, which he then put on public display. Soon after it was finished, people had started calling it the Runekeep. Magic users from all over the world soon heard about it and started using it to transport themselves to all the exotic regions of the world, which would normally take them weeks or months to reach by ship or on foot.

It wasn't so uncommon for lone travelers to enter the city through the west gate, but there was something about this one that made Gary cautious and alert.

"Paul, check out this one," Gary said.

Paul, who was half asleep as usual when gate duty was forced upon him, shook his head and looked up. "Why did you wake... I mean, why did you call me?"

"There's something about that guy I just can't place," Gary said, while he rubbed his chin with his free hand. In his other hand he wielded a halberd.

Paul glared at the traveler for a moment and then looked angrily at Gary. "Oh Gary, just shut up and leave me alone," he scolded.

Gary ignored Paul and stared at the hooded man for just a moment longer until their eyes met. The hooded man smiled at Gary. Gary quickly averted his eyes and immediately felt embarrassed for some strange reason.

The traveler didn't recognize the guard who was so intently staring at him. He probably wouldn't recognize a lot of people in city so he just headed on, towards the center. He passed by the tower where he had spent so many hours on his work. Then he passed by the old mansion where he had lived for many years and smiled fondly. Of course it wouldn't have been left alone all this time, someone else lived there now. It didn't matter, he wouldn't be staying for long. He turned around and headed to the southwest part of the city and entered the inn. He smiled at the innkeeper, ordered an ale and sat down at a table in a dimly lit corner but didn't touch the drink. He lowered his hood as much as possible and kept an eye on the entrance. There he waited.

It didn't take long for another man to enter the inn. A familiar face, finally. The man noticed him and joined him at his table. They stared intensely at each other for a few moments, face to face. Slowly and simultaneously their expressions changed to one of joy and suddenly they were smiling broadly at each other.

"I can't explain how glad I am to see you, old friend," the visitor said.

The hooded man smiled fondly. "Likewise, old friend." He looked around the Inn, making sure nobody was paying attention to them. "Let us find a private room to talk."

The visitor nodded, still smiling.

They entered one of the backrooms of the inn and closed the door. The hooded man started chanting and for a fraction of a second a blue glow surrounded the room. "There, that should do it."

"You really think a sound barrier is necessary?" The other man asked.

The hooded man nodded. "We can't be too careful." He looked at the other man for a moment longer, then smiled and gave him a bear hug. "I've missed you, Gwydion."

Gwydion smiled and said, "how long has it been, old friend?"

"'Longer than I intended, for certain," the hooded man answered.

"I am glad you're back, Aznar."

"Aye this visit was long overdue, but don't rejoice just yet. When we finish our business, I must be on my way once again."

Gwydion's face saddened by that remark, but he tried to hide it. "So you have finally found what you were looking for." It was a statement, not a question.

Aznar nodded, "That and more, old friend. The stories I would share with you, if I only had the time to do so."

Gwydion's tone of voice became serious. "Things have changed while you were gone."

Aznar thought about that. It was the way Gwydion said it that made him feel uneasy. He knew things would change. He would have been surprised if they hadn't. "Tell me more."

Then, quite surprisingly Gwydion smiled again and said, "I have three daughters now."

Aznar was relieved. "You found a wife?"

Gwydion laughed and said, "a wife? Seriously, you know better than that. I've adopted them. People like us have no business getting married."

"Unless we find someone who lives as long as we do."

Gwydion's expression became melancholic. Then he changed the subject. "These daughters of mine, they have quickly become the joy of my life. I'm so proud of them. About a month ago they joined the Order of Law in Berton. You remember how it was for us back all those years when we were younger, right? All proud and holy. Anyway, you must meet them!"

Aznar shook his head and said, "sadly I cannot. I thought my message was clear on that. I do not wish people to know I am back, not even for this short time."

Gwydion nodded. Judging by his expression, Aznar knew his friend understood the situation.

"You're the only one who knows about the artifact. I plan to keep it that way."

The mention of the artifact seemed to trigger Gwydion's curiosity and he asked, "can I see it?"

Aznar reached into his pocket and took out what appeared to be an empyrean necklace and handed it to Gwydion. "Be careful with it and be sure to guard your mind."

Gwydion took the necklace in his hands cautiously and examined it closely. It had a dim, blue glow about it and it felt ice cold. "Not quite what I had expected, though I can sense it by just looking at it."

"Aye the presence is very strong. It takes most of my concentration just to keep it at bay."

"Have you made any progress with it yet?"

Aznar shook his head. "It hasn't responded well to anything I tried so far. We will have to spend days, maybe weeks trying to break it's will, my friend. And we also need to find a way to control it. If we don't manage to do that, I need not remind you of the consequences."

Gwydion nodded gravely. "We should start immediately then. The longer we wait, the more power and influence it gains." He suddenly looked at him seriously and said, "it's really good to have you back here, my friend, even though I know it's temporary."

Aznar smiled. "It feels really good to be back, Gwydion."