City to Province

City to Province

D a y  1  -  T r y i n g  t o  i m p r e s s

by Kim Fiesta

Here at the waiting area of the bus terminal in Cubao. I'm typing on my computer just to make it look like I'm a busy person. Eh. I like to impress people. Though I know they aren't looking at all. 

Let me tell you why I'm here at the bus terminal. I'm going to enrol myself at this flying school I've always wanted to go to since I was a kid. It'll take more or less six hours to get to the north province. Summer vacation just started last week and I just wanted to start as early as possible. My goal actually was to start at the age of eighteen though I'm already nineteen. Yes, I was disappointed but hey, just one year! 

My parents suggested a beach resort to stay in but nah. Too expensive for my liking and plus, I wanted to get away from the internet. Kind of sick of it. 

Tito Lozo, my uncle from my mom's side, already handled the place that I'll be staying for two months. Good thing he has a friend there that will pick me up. The house actually belongs to his friend. Tito Lozo already warned me that the house was just small, and that I might need to do some general cleaning but I don't really mind at all. I like cleaning. I like getting sweaty. Makes me feel healthy. 

It rhymes! Clever, Kim. 

I like getting sweaty. Makes me feel healthy. 

Saved

My phone rang and my laptop almost fell off. Grabbing the cellular phone inside my pocket, I put it on my ear. "Tito Lozo, I'm already here po at the waiting area." 

I heard him laugh on the other line. "Sinabihan ka ba ulit ng tita mo?" (Did your aunt rebuke you again?)

"Opo," (Yes,) I smiled. Aunt Berna, his wife, always tells me to use po and opo when talking. I've been practicing for almost one year and seven months. I think I'm getting good at it actually. But they say that I sound funny. I don't know.  

"Hindi talaga bagay sa'yo. Better stick with fluent English." (It doesn't really suit you.)

"Mas mabuti po kung marunong din mag Tagalog," I said, grinning from ear to ear. (It's better if I also know Tagalog.)

"Oh, kung saan ka mas kumportable. Siya nga pala, your mom called. Mag ingat ka raw at tatawag sila ngayong araw. I-text mo rin ako kapag nakarating ka na, ah!"  (Whichever you feel comfortable with. By the way, your mom called. She said to take care of yourself and that they'll call you today. Text me when you arrive.)

"Opo, tito." (Yes, uncle.)

Before hanging up, he told me to be careful and to not forget to pray. Putting back my laptop inside my navy blue backpack, I leaned back and looked at the busy road of Cubao. It was hot and I was thankful that my shirt wasn't sticking on my skin. There were a lot of noise; from the horns of different vehicles to different kinds of people. 

Clock's ticking. 

Our bus finally arrived but we aren't allowed to get in yet. I just prepared my bags and especially myself. It didn't take that much long for the bus conductor to announce that we could get in. Standing up, I did my stretching first, hoping it would be enough for my ass that will be sitting for six hours. 

Secretly patting my butt, I muttered to myself, "You'll be fine, ass. We'll be fine."