Chapter 1

"Down you fall, into a sleep;

Monsters all, with you, shall creep.

Demons joyful, spirits fly,

For the gods, at last, shall die.

Goodnight little ones."

THE SHROUDED FIGURE finished the macabre lullaby on a sharp note, her scratchy voice reverberating through the otherwise quiet nursery. She clutched three bundles as she stood. Her silhouette easily stood twenty feet in height; she made an imposing figure against the arched window. She crossed the room with awkward strides to deposit each bundle in a crib. With the babies safely distributed, she moved to the rocking chair and touched one gnarled finger to a piece of paper. Her eyes were hooded, but even in the semi-darkness, I could see the joy behind them. Her mouth curved into a menacing smile, yellow teeth poking at sharp angles against purple lips.

"Sleep well, my little darlings," she croaked. "Your prophecy is a thing of beauty. The Fates expect great things of you." She dropped the paper onto the chair and walked out of the room, directing an eerie smile at each crib as she left. Then she closed the door tightly behind her.

I crept toward the note on silent feet, careful not to disturb anything more than the air. It was a cavernous room with forty-foot ceilings, and heavy tapestries that lined the walls. Three cribs sat beneath an imposing chandelier. The three bundles slept peacefully, their hushed breathing the room's only sound. But the bundles weren't making the kinds of cooing sleep sounds I'd expect of newborns.

Now they were stirring, the movement loosening the bindings on their swaddles. Their faces were still obscured in shadow, but I was struck by the unnerving realization that these babies were nothing like human babies. One let out a guttural hiss; the other a soft growl. And the third made a noise so animalistic, it sounded like a wail...or a war cry.

As the cacophony in the nursery reached a fevered pitch, I darted for the rocking chair. Without thinking I grabbed the note and stuffed it in my pocket, then I made a dash for the door. Whatever those babies were, I didn't want to be around them any longer.

My hand burned as I turned the knob. I jumped back, cradling my fingers. The skin pulled across my bone; large blisters had already begun to form. Someone, or something had turned the metal molten. Maybe it was a defensive spell, something to protect the children. With any luck, I'd never know. I pushed through the pain and gripped the doorknob again, wrenching it open and bolting down the hallway. I ignored the searing ache in my palms as I pumped my arms, willing myself to reach the exit faster.

Heavy footsteps thudded behind me. They were slow but determined, each step closing the distance between my pursuer and me. I didn't have to turn around to know an angry giantess was bearing down, and I didn't want to think about what she'd do if she caught up.

Ducking my head, I tore around a corner and bolted for the doorway. It was close, only ten yards away. When I was halfway there, two heavily armed guards stepped into my path. They were easily thirty-feet tall, each with an array of weapons attached to a thick belt. One held a spear in his hand, while the other wielded a broad sword. Both locked me in their sights and charged. My head whipped back and forth—the angry mother closed in on me from behind. The guards were fast approaching from ahead. My only option was to hide.

I turned on my heel and bolted through the closest doorway. Now I was in some kind of recreation room with large chairs, a blazing fireplace, and, thankfully, high windows, flanked by thick curtains. My legs burned as I dove behind one, curling into a ball and willing my breath to come in quiet gasps. It might have bought me a minute, tops, but a minute was all I would need.