Chapter One

100 word Pitch: Outwardly, 19-year-old Aspen Spencer has it all: she’s a member of an ultra-exclusive sorority; engaged to the university’s star pitcher, who she’s head over heels for; and acing her classes. Inwardly, she’s never recovered from the night she invited the son of her family’s maid into her bed. Or the tragedy that came from it. 

20-year-old Sebastian Cruz has come to Carolina University with one thing in mind—Aspen. He carries in his heart a promise she made him. That she’d be his forever. With Aspen’s wedding only two days away, he intends to hold her that promise. Even knowing that forevers are only ever temporary.

Chapter One

Aspen

“Not even one, beautiful?” Hot Bartender slides an empty shot glass in front of me, flashing a grin.  He’s more than cute and the drink is free, but both are off limits.

I shake my head and make a show of frowning. “Designated driver.”

With a flick of his wrist the glass disappears. But then that smile of his turns mischievous and he leans in, resting his elbows on the bar. “How ‘bout makin’ sure I get home okay?”

I can’t help a chuckle. As far as pickup lines go, I’ve certainly heard worse. Casually, I use my left hand to brush the stubborn strands of hair from my face.

His eyes shift to the diamonds on my ring finger. “Ah,” he says sliding away from me. “Tell Mr. Trump I said hello.”

I’m tempted to roll my eyes, but even I think Brian went a bit overboard with my engagement ring. But then, what about Brian isn’t over the top? Understated isn’t exactly his style. “Will do,” I say with a grin.

He shoots me a wink before setting his eyes on the curvy redhead arriving at the opposite end of the bar. “Good luck,” I mouth to him.

I glance up at the flat screen TV above my head and watch football game’s final seconds tick away—we’ve just been handed another thirty point beat-down by a ranked school. Somewhere, a boy I used to know is shouting at his television.

The lights dim, and the music goes from background noise to “Get up and dance!” I spin around on my stool to look for Lexi, the raven-haired, wild-child of a roommate I am responsible for tonight. We were supposed to be meeting our boys here for some buffalo wings and beer, but a senior on the baseball team called an impromptu players-only meeting to discuss their three game losing streak and well… let’s just say it would take an act of God for Lexi O’Connell to skip an opportunity to get drunk.

I spot her strutting through the dining area, runway style, a trail of lustful glances and angry girlfriends in her wake. She sports a grin much too innocent to be trusted. “Holy hell. What did you do?”

She shrugs.

I cross my arms. “Spill it.”

It doesn’t take much for Lexi to crack. Especially when she very much wants to crack. “Promise you won’t get mad?”

I narrow my eyes and press my lips tight—my “I mean business” face.

She huffs and slumps her shoulders. “Okay… So I might have just signed you up for tonight’s ‘Kiss the Hottie.’”

My stomach does a flip. “You know what Brian said about me doing that. What if I lose?”

Lexi rolls her eyes. “You never lose! Besides, I wasn’t aware that getting engaged made Brian your father. Should I have gotten him to sign your permission slip? Do you have to say ‘Please and Sir’ when you speak to him?” My roommate has made it clear what she thinks about my having a fiancé at nineteen.