The Last Trip - Short Story.

Chapter One

The strong waves lapped the soft shores of Dubai, the gentle breeze cooled her warm, golden skin, simultaneously playing with her waist-length caramel locks. Arabella pushed her mirrored aviators up the bridge of her nose, and surveyed her surroundings. The sea was a perfect shade of turquoise, a reflection of the cloudless sky. The private beach, next to a champagne lounge attracted an upper class clientele; it was peaceful without a single child in sight. Billionaires, supermodels, international socialites, film stars, of all nationalities tastefully sipped expensive bubbly from their flutes, gossiping, sunbathing and laughing, not a care in the world. If one thing Dubai was, it was luxurious, exotic - a playground for the rich, showing off in Porsches, Ferrari's, and yachts. The women competitively boasting their immaculate boob jobs, collagen plumped lips and designer garments. From the people to the architectural building styles and culture, everything about Dubai was beautiful.

Leaning over, Arabella topped up her glass with Dom Perignon, the bottle of which was chilling in an ice bucket

Leaning over, Arabella topped up her glass with Dom Perignon, the bottle of which was chilling in an ice bucket. She tapped her French manicured nail on the edge of the glass, 'a toast,' a small smile played on her lips, 'to another of our memorable trips, another country to tick off the list. May there be many more.' 

Savannah, Kaydence and Marissa raised their glasses in the air, an indication of their jet-setting annual trips to continue. Five years in a row they'd visited exotic destinations, mingling with the rich and famous, sunbathing on luxurious yachts, staying in grand hotels, and shopping in the fashion capitals of the world. Life was good.

As Arabella sipped the cool, crisp liquid, she noticed a slight frown etched on Marissa's face. Their eyes met to which she flashed her megawatt smile. Something was up with Marissa. She'd been offish at the airport, not her usual chatty self. Arabella wondered whether she was still missing Charles, her ex she had been with for three years, following a break-up four months back. Or maybe it was the letter!

 Arabella sat up abruptly. How could she have forgotten the letter? A wave of panic and apprehension washed over her, as she remembered the hospital logo, the bold font labelling its urgency and the content that brought tears to her eyes. Arabella hadn't meant to pry, however when Marissa was touching up her Chanel gloss, she had caught sight of a letter from Balenciaga. Excitedly she'd read it to see how far along the waiting list Marissa was to claiming the new, latest tote bag. A pile of opened mail had scattered to the floor, informing Arabella that Marissa had an appointment for an ultrasound scan. Marissa had complained about a lump near her armpit not so long ago. Arabella had instantly feared the worst. How could she not?