Will You Be My Valentine? (Short Story.)

'Will you be my Valentine?' Lana teased Shane, to which he shook his head. She chuckled. 'How can you not celebrate Valentine's Day?' She studied her boyfriend of just over seven months. She kept her tone light, hoping it displayed casualness, but deep down, her throat was tight with disappointment. What woman didn't want to be spoilt on Valentine's Day, and not in a materialistic way, but to feel adored more than ever, to cherish a romantic evening with a loved one, to gush to their girlfriends afterwards at how 'sweet' their partner was. Lana would be pleased with a cute card, and a lovey dovey message scrawled inside. A three pound bunch of flowers even would be the icing on the cake. Cuddled up on the sofa, the lights low, and a rom-com on TV, was her idea of heaven. 

Truth be told, all of Lana's ex boyfriends had been disappointments. They were either jealous and controlling, or neglectful and cheating. At twenty nine, she wouldn't have minded having at least one Valentine's Day to remember. It wasn't that Shane didn't love her. She knew that he did. He told her all of the time.  

'I don't believe in Valentine's Day, babe. It's a Hallmark scam. It's one big competition.' Shane brushed his dark blonde hair back with his hand, and took a large swig of his Cola. 'Who got the biggest card, the nicest flowers, the fanciest restaurant booked? It's not for me.' He shook his head, and rose to his feet. 'And don't expect some big surprise tomorrow, in terms of a candle-lit dinner, a flower filled room, and a box of Thornton's finest.' He shrugged his jacket on. 'I love you more than anything. You already know that.' 

He leant down and brushed his lips tenderly against hers. As his tongue slipped in, and he massaged hers with soft leisurely licks, her breath caught in her throat. His hand cupped the back of her neck, as he deepened the kiss. She felt a warm feeling spread through her body, her heart swelling, her mouth curling into a smile.

'Go, you'll be late for work.'

'Love you, sweet-cheeks.'

'Love you, Thor.' She giggled.

His eyes narrowed, although she detected the humour in them. 'For the last time, I do not look like Thor.'

She pulled a face. All six foot two of his built frame, complete with large biceps, and impressive six-pack, not to mention his dirty blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, he could easily have been cast in a Hollywood blockbuster as Chris Hemsworth's double. 

'For the last time, yes you do.'

Grinning, he blew her a kiss and left the apartment. After Lana had finished her cup of tea, she sat motionless for a moment, wondering what to do with her day. Her friends, all loved up, were probably out getting pampered for tomorrow, or out choosing pretty dresses to wear for the special evening, or joined at their partner's hip. Sighing heavily, Lana reached for the phone, and dialled the salon. She cancelled her hair appointment. As Shane had stated, Valentines Day would be just another normal day. No doubt she'd be lounging around in her pyjamas, so a cut, wash, and blow-dry to add volume and shine to her brunette hair was pointless. 

Collapsing on the couch, she tried to focus on an episode of Gossip Girl. Within minutes, she was restless. Grabbing her iPhone from the cushion at her feet, she called her friend Hannah for a gossip. It wasn't long until she began gushing about Valentine's Day, and how her boyfriend had booked a meal at The Mailbox in Birmingham, a restaurant celebrities had even attended. She'd purchased some new Louboutins platforms, and a Red Lipsy dress.

'So, where's Shane taking you?' she finally asked.  

'I'm not sure yet,' Lana lied, feeling her cheeks flame. She hated lying, but didn't want to admit to her friends that nothing had been planned, and them perhaps judging Shane as not caring about her.