Prologue

Lila

"Which one?"

Lila scanned the lunchroom full of loud rowdy kids, the one she rarely stepped foot in, choosing instead to spend her lunch time by herself on the bleachers.

"It was only the one time, Lila," Ali said nervously, already tugging on her arm.

"One time too many." Lila stared out into the crowd, hoping it was someone in the group of Barbie dolls she hated so much. "You let her get away with it one time, and she'll do it even more. Which one?"

"You're gonna get suspended," Ali urged. "Can't you at least wait until after school when we can do this off school grounds?"

"No, I want every one of her fucking little friends to know what they're in for if they ever do that to you again." Lila turned to her anxious sister. "Now tell me," she said as her fingers fisted at her side. "Which. One?"

Ali's shoulder slumped and she exhaled loudly. "Missy," she finally blurted. "She's on the left with that big group doing all the laughing."

Lila started walking toward them immediately. "Are the assholes that were with her when she pushed you here too?"

"I think so. Most of them anyway."

"Good. Which one's Missy?"

She wasn't the Barbie dolls as Lila had hoped. But knowing this group had been bullying her sister for weeks and Ali hadn't said anything until they actually hurt her, made Lila hate them just as much. More.

"She's the tall one with the backwards baseball hat."

"The big bitch?"

"Yeah."

Lila scoffed under her breath. Typical big girl who used her size to intimidate others. She was pretend tough. This broad and all her stupid friends were about to see just how tough their big friend wasn't.

As soon as they were close enough to Missy's crowd, some turned and snickered when they saw Ali. No doubt still amused by the scrape on her sister's cheek from where she hit the asphalt when Missy shoved her from behind. The instant Lila reached them and stalked right through their crowd to get to Missy, the snickering ceased.

Missy smirked when she saw Lila coming toward her. It was a nervous smirk. One Lila knew all too well. Any time one of these wannabe fake-ass tough girls ever got called out on their shit, they had no choice but to pretend not be scared. Lila could already smell her fear.

She turned around, thinking Ali would be right behind her. But she'd fallen behind as the crowd apparently closed in around Lila and Missy. Lila knew she had to move fast; the growing crowd around them would only get the attention of the dean or someone to break this up too soon, and she wanted to make sure she showed them all what would happen if any of them ever messed with her sister again.

This wouldn't be the first time she'd be suspended, possibly expelled, from school, but it already felt like it'd be the most satisfying.

"C'mere," she said, holding out her hand to Ali.

A few of the girls blocking Ali from getting through, moved out of the way when they realized who she was talking to. One was still in the way, so Lila shoved her. "Move!"

As soon as Ali was close enough, Lila took her arm and turned to Missy. "You've been bullying my sister and then did this to her."

She pointed at the scrape on Ali's face, which only got her insides nice and lit like it had when Ali finally admitted how she'd gotten it yesterday.