I- The Valeureuse

This story is dedicated to my lover past, for he was always the fox in the forest. Within this tale are allusions that only he will be able to understand, but the message is for all nonetheless. Don't fall in love with the Valeureuse. All he desires is your heart.

"In Native American lore, the fox animal symbolism deals with two interpretations. One perspective observes the fox as a wise and noble messenger. The other views the fox as a trickster playing pranks, or worse - luring one to demise..."

-http://www.whats-your-sign.com/fox-animal-symbolism.html

The forest feels different today, more dead than it did before. Perhaps it is because of my tired eyes or perhaps it is because the birds have stopped singing. There are only ravens now, they hop from branch to branch mocking me with their intelligible chatter. The air is cool and the sun is hidden, too shy to peek out from under the blanket of trees surrounding me.

These trees, they look down upon me with weary curiosity. They do not recognize me although I have been here before. I hardly recognize myself, these thoughts are not my own. A stillness has taken occupancy in my chest. My heart was stolen and replaced with one of wood. It does not beat, it cannot feel. These stitches are falling out, blood has stained my shirt and shoes. I do not need the blood. I have no heart that can move it through my veins. My heart was stolen and I must find the creature that has it.

I am going fox hunting, but not for just any fox. I seek the Valeureuse. He is a cunning brute with a silver tongue and the mind of a man. He is drawn to a beating heart like a moth is drawn to a flame, but unlike the moth his desires do not destroy him. They give him life.

I met him here in these woods, I can remember. He looked me in the eyes and gave me pretty words. I know now they are words of poison. I know now that when he looked into my eyes all he saw was my heart and it was only my heart he desired.

I recognize these trees, he found me here in this meadow. It was a day unlike this; the birds were singing and the air was warm. I was drawn here by the daisies, curious like the trees. I can still feel how it did when I was first here. Love is in the air, but I know now that it is a false aphrodisia.

He stood at the edge of the woods just on the other side of the meadow. It was his coast that drew my gaze from the daisies, but it was his eyes that kept me staring. He seemed so dreamlike I thought he was a phantom, a red mirage against the green undergrowth. It was only his eyes that proved him to be real. I could feel how true they were. He looked at me and my heart fluttered not in fear but passion. I knew he was an animal but he instilled upon me a feeling so human I could not help but rejoice in it. That, and the tattered green bow tie he wore round his white neck made me see him as less of a fox and more of a gentleman. So it did not surprise me when he began to speak.

"What a beautiful day it is to run into such a beautiful girl as yourself in these woods," he said. His voice didn't so much as startle me as it did rev my heart further and prove that he was no ordinary creature.

"How do you speak, fox?" I inquired in return.

"Do you not know? These woods are mystic, there are creatures of wonder in here. Some are beautiful, as you, and some are so filled with woe it seems to rot their souls. But it is too beautiful of a day, all the nefarious ones are hidden away."

"These trees are enchanted?"

"Ah yes, but so are the rocks and the flowers and soil. All that dwells within the boundaries of the forest has magic. Even you, I see."

"Me?"

"Why yes, there cannot be a creature as beautiful as you that is not unnatural."

"What do they call you?