A Storm of the Heart

He lay there at the bottom of the ditch staring up into the sky. There was nothing to see, the stars were hidden behind a thick veil of darkness.
He lay there anyway, clothes in tatters and his tiny shattered heart cupped in his hands. He can't quite remember how he got here, how he ended up in this situation. The world is a dark and barren place, and he had lost his way.

Laughter! He can hear laughter! Just above him, over the edge of his emotional grave. It reminds his broken heart of times when it were whole, fulfilled and full of light. It yearns for the warmth of happiness. It yearns for love again.
The man gets on his hands and knees. He cant stand, he has no energy. His limbs are weak and shake under the load of his weight.Just up there is warmth, healing, laughter. His shattered soul dares to hope.
Sharp rocks in the ground cut his hands and knees to ribbons as he drags his weary and heavy body up the side of the ditch. It's deepest hole he has ever fallen into in his life, but the allure of the laughter keeps him going. Left hand forward, right hand forward, cradle the fragile heart, he's almost there.

He made it! Peering over the edge of his despair, his gaze falls upon a paralyzingly beautiful smile, set against the cutest of faces, framed by golden brown curls of hair. An aura of golden light emanates from her, lighting up the small patch of desolated earth around her. She's stunning, but she's laughing with another man. She starts to dance, prancing and spinning around. Her movements cause gust of wind which pick up and hurl sharp rocks in all directions.
She's laughing and having fun. He's holding his fragile heart out, in the path of the torrent of pain.
He screams out in pain as a thousand razor blades slice though his feelings. She's oblivious to her actions, and continues to dance. Their eyes lock for a split second, and she directs her smile at him. For that moment, her warm light sooths his soul and calms his pain. But that was but a fleeting moment. The rocks and dust beset him once again. But he is addicted. He tasted again a feeling he once knew. He continues to hold his heart out in the middle of the storm.

There is no logic when it comes to feelings.