A Penny's Worth of Affection

WINNER, MOST POPULAR HISTORICAL FICTION WATTY 2012.

A Penny's Worth of Affection

Chapter One

© 2012 Rosemary Ani. All Rights Reserved.

England 1825.

Mrs. Kate Barstow regarded her friend in concern. "I apologize for intruding like this Penelope, but I simply felt I had to let you know. It will be a disaster indeed if I had chosen to say nothing."

Penelope Inglewood took a deep breath, and nodded, fighting to remain calm despite the emotions that swirled within. "No, no, it is quite all right Kate, thank you for telling me. I must confess I had no idea of this." In truth she was shocked and not a little horrified at the news but she was loath to tell Kate so. "I will have a word with Edward immediately. This must be put to a stop at once."

"Oh yes. But I will advise the strictest caution, for you know how it is with these young people these days. They seem to derive pleasure from doing quite the opposite of what is expected of them. In truth it was most improper of him to be seen with Miss Rosebury in such a...compromising situation, the lady is engaged to be married after all and if the wrong persons were to come upon them, the scandal would be immeasurable."

"Not to worry, I shall be careful when I speak to him."

Mrs. Barstow rose, her wide green skirts rustling as she moved. "I am not worried dearest, I know you are more than capable of handling things discreetly. I must take my leave now or I shall be late for the parish meeting. And I give you my word none of this will pass from my lips."

Penelope stood as well, brushing down her black gown to smooth out the creases, green eyes filled with worry.

"Thank you for keeping this in the strictest confidence." At least she hoped Kate would keep mute as she hardly knew Mrs. Barstow, having just moved to Millcote less than five months ago and still getting acquainted with her neighbors, and attending a few tea parties thrown by the gentry occasionally to ease the tedium of the countryside.

Mrs. Barstow patted her shoulders comfortingly. Although the two women were of a height, Mrs. Barstow's stocky build and wide shoulders made it seem like she towered over Penelope. She smiled kindly.

"You are a good sister. I have no doubt you will do the right thing by him although I must stress how delicate this situation is. You must not be harsh with Edward or he will rebel. I only caught a glimpse of them together, but it appears they have formed quite the attachment for each other. That is most disastrous indeed. If the duke finds out his fiancée has developed a tendre for your brother, he could call him out to a duel."

Penelope shivered involuntarily. The Duke of Newbridge had a reputation for being ruthless to those who crossed his path, tales of his actions had been whispered in polite society, each tale more gory than the last, and though in all the time she had been in London she had not so much as set eyes on him, she knew him quite well enough to know that Mrs. Barstow was right. He would not stop until he had destroyed Edward.

"I will speak to him at once," she replied, feeling another chill run down her spine. "May I see you out?"

"That will not be necessary. My carriage is right outside and you must not stress your leg. Be sure to give my love to Edward and Lucy." She patted Penelope's shoulder once more and walked out of the morning room.

Penelope crossed to the window to watch the woman climb into her carriage, her thoughts in turmoil. Edward and Miss Jane Rosebury? How had this happened when as far as she was concerned, they both moved in different social circles, and her brother had not said a word about meeting her at all, yet he always told her everything. She crossed her arms across her bosom to ward off the morning chill, casting a glance back at the empty fireplace, wondering if there would be enough wood to build a fire.