Chapter 1

Chapter One

Delilah Longton had always been depressed. She had been the one who second guessed everything. The one who was quiet for most of her life. Delilah, when called on, knew the answer but words got jumbled up and mixed around. She would just sit there, wide eyed, everyone staring. She loved the night, and wasn't afraid of what was in it. Delilah also loved the water, and felt comfortable in its murky depths.

She wanted the pain, the suffering, the teasing, the hurt, the uncomfortableness, the flailing feeling of not knowing what was going to happen, the hatred, to stop. She was a technician who loved, loved her job. People sometimes didn't think she was capable of fixing their computer or device, but she always did. Delilah Longton was a bright girl who daydreamed a little too much. She loved to play piano and sing with her boyfriend of three and one half years, Jack Yev. People always managed to stop her when she wanted to jump off the bridge, and she always went home that day to her London flat, Jack's warm arms and his comforting spirit. Everyone teased that the two acted like a married couple beyond their years, and it did show. The two finished each others sentences and thought the other's thoughts. Jack always knew what she felt and vise versa.

It was a dreary day in August, around that time of year when the day was warm but in the shade it was bone chilling. It had rained rather hard that morning, leaving a musty feeling in the mid evening air. Fog clung to the water below, making the sparking water seem black. Delilah clutched the wheel tightly, her knuckles white from the pressure. The sun fought it's way through the dwindling grey storm clouds, and it seemed as if the sun was losing it's match. The road was like an empty hallway, and Delilah slowly made her way in her green Beatle Bug VW. Her nails were painted a deep red, contrasting with her pale skin and dark brown hair with blond hi-lights. On her finger was a silver band with blue stones set into a diamond shape that Jack had given to her on her twenty third birthday. Was it really almost one year ago that she had turned twenty three?

Birds flew across the sky, making dark blotches on the canvas grey sky that was painted above her. It was humid out, and her dark curly hair was loose around her shoulders. She wore a pale blue dress with black flats and silver bird earrings. Softly music escaped the radio and a slow beat lulled into her thoughts, trying to help sort her thoughts. Her crystal blue eyes were tinted grey as they searched the sky and road ahead of her. She saw the silhouette of the Palace of Westminster, and Big Ben's tall leading structure against the grey backdrop. Delilah parked her car and got out, the humid air sticking to her skin and making her hair wild. The river water lapped below the bridge she was on, jostling her from her pile of thoughts. This was the final time she would attempt to jump, and this time, she would succeed.

Nobody was around, as everybody was downtown for a big seminar for something having to do with the speed limit of London. She pulled out her phone and looked at the plain white and pink cover she had gotten for Christmas two years ago. Her co worker, Jenny Knotts had gotten it for her because she complained of the little chip in the screen on the left hand side. It was water proof, and Delilah knew if they found her after she jumped, her phone would be intact. Delilah hit Jack's work number, and waited for an answer.

"Hello?" Came a man's voice. She hesitated before answering, her hands shaking as she held the striped phone.

"Jack. It's me. Delilah." She said, trying to control the growing knot in her throat.

"Is everything alright?" Jack asked, sounding panicked and frightened. She hated leaving him for anything. Even if it was a two day business trip, she still ran to his arms and he held her like he hadn't seen her in years. His voice calmed her, made her feel safe and loved. She knew he loved her with all his heart, and she loved him with all of hers. She just couldn't take the suicidal thoughts anymore and the worry she thought she was causing him.