Luck and Chance

"I know that someday, sometime, we’d see each other again."

Those were the very words he has written in that piece of paper. Those words, along with my memories of that night, were the only reminders of who I’ve met and who I hopefully hoped with my whole heart, will be a part of my future.

 Are you having doubts about this? Honestly, I am too. I mean, who would entrust their destiny to luck and chance right? Two fickle things, no one really knows and yet I dare hope that luck and chance are on my side. On our side.

PROLOGUE

It was one of those nights that I'll remember the most. 

Booze, a new opportunity and new people. A deadly combination right?

What I didn't know is that another bonus will be added to the mix.

I guess you already know, right?

Then, I won't tell you anymore.

The party/quasi-interview started well into the night. Booze was served by the coolers and for an aspiring graduate, one needs to be at her best behavior. I guess you could say that booze and me mix very well. Very well in fact that beer goggles need not be worn in order to see one of the cutest guys that night and forget all about the interview I went for in the first place.

He was dressed smartly, black jeans and a navy polo. His hair seemingly lacking gel that most of the guys at that night dons as the go-to accessory and he just oozes quiet, but strong handsomeness. Shit, is there such a word? Whatever. All you've got to concern yourselves with is that he is definitely my type. From his tall, lean build, black hair cut just so it brushes his collar, black eyes that pierced through me and tan skin, I finally met someone of my criteria.

Being the reserved girl that I am, I already set myself to not talking to this particularly hot member of the male species. And yet, Lady Luck was on my side as he joined our group.

Our group talked about everything and nothing. From their current jobs to what school they graduated from, we were one noisy bunch.Laughter rang from our group and others just kept looking at us. From an outsider's perspective, they might actually think that we came here as a group. Actually, the only person I know before everyone converged is Layla, my friend in college whose also a Literature student like me.

The whole time, all I can think about was how good he is with talking to new people. He listens to the person talking and looks really interested in what you have to say rather than seeing a vacant expression in his eyes. He also kept on cracking jokes that had most of us choking through our drinks. Needless to say, this is another check in my book.

Well into the night, my glass is already empty. Excusing myself, I went over to the bar to get another drink. While waiting for my order, I felt a presence beside me and by the particular scent that has been cataloged in my mind the whole night as "that appealing hunk of a man", a smile's already in my lips as I turned to face him. His smile greeted me and all I can think about is to tell myself to stop the redness from spreading throughout my face. Good thing I had brown hair or else I would look like a strawberry.

He leaned casually on the bar then asked me "How are you liking the event so far?"

"It's nice. They really did well, making the interviewees feel at ease and not like they're sending them to the butchery." Then I placed my glass in front of him "And also, this bonus." 

And, because of the alcohol in my system and my aim bordering on awesome, the cosmopolitan went flying from my glass

And onto his shirt.