The Hairy Fairy Fleamother

Copyright Material 2014

The Fairy Hairy Fleamother

Early one Saturday morning, Sandy imagined her eyes opening wide and right away her tummy began to growl. Walking over to sniff her empty dish, she then began to whine:

RRRRRRRuuuuu....ERRRUUUUuuuuuuuoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooo.

"Boy am I hungry!" she thought. But she knew she would have to wait until Diane opened the kitchen door to let her outside. 

"That lazy Diane. Why doesn't she wake up and feed me, so I can go out to play. Maybe if I bark, she will hear me." 

So Sandy opened her mouth, wider than her eyes, to speak. Barely a whimper came out, while her tongue moved faster than her tail could wag. Nothing happened-no bark. All she could do was whine:

RRRRRRRUUuuuuuuuoooooooOOOOOOOORRRRR...UUUuuuuuuuuu.

It sounded like a siren, louder and louder and fading away. It was fun to do; but Sandy didn't enjoy it for long.

"Oh, woof, woof," she thought. "Why can't I bark? If I could bark, I'd wake up everybody in the house, even that big bossy daddy with the mustache. He doesn't like me anyway. I don't care if it is Saturday." 

Sandy tried to bark again and again, but she ended up whining louder this time: 

RRRRRRRUUUUUUUuuuuuu... 

OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo. 

"Oh, woof, woof. What's wrong with me today? Where is Diane anyway? I could bite her, I'm so mad!" 

Just then, those pesky fleas started their breakfast right on her back. 

"Oh, they're asking for it now.  

Ouch!

That hurts." 

Sandy began biting at her back then, running around in a circle, she plopped down to bite into her hind leg. Suddenly, she looked up and there right in front of her, in fact, right on the tip of her nose was the biggest flea she ever saw. 

"Boy, fleas get nastier everyday. Look at the size of this one, bigger than my claws! It's gotten that fat feeding off me, I bet." 

Sandy was ready to bury her nose under her paws, when she thought she heard: 

"STOP!" 

The enormous flea shook its mouth at Sandy; and each time she dipped her head, the flea stabbed its mandibles deep into her nose.

OOOOOOUCH! 

Her entire body stiffened from the pain. 

"Don't do that on my tender nose! Please don't! Who are you? What do you want?" 

It was the strangest thing: The flea could understand everything that Sandy thought. 

"I'm the Fairy Hairy Fleamother, you dumb-dumb! And I want you to stop biting so much. You're killing all my friends." 

"How can you understand me? Killing your friends! You're killing me with those bites! Anyway, this is the wrong time to bite me. Oh, poor me!" 

"What's really biting you, Sandy?" 

Sandy didn't pay attention to the flea's question; she felt so miserable. Crying again, her whines changed to a howl:

HHHHHHHHHWWWWOOOOOOOO oooooooooooooooooooo.

Her body began trembling until every flea on her back was shaken off-all but the Fairy Hairy Fleamother, who plunged its mandibles deep into Sandy's nose, hanging on, twirling half-way around its wet, slippery surface.