Welcome to the Quarter

Over the course of my long life, I have come to believe we are bound forever to those with whom we share blood. And while we may not choose our family, that bond can be our greatest strength or our deepest regret. This unfortunate truth has haunted me for as long as I can recall.

 ***

 "What business do you have in New Orleans?"

 Elijah stands across from me, flanked by headstones. He tries his best to look cold and distant, but in his hazel-brown eyes I can see the pain he is desperately trying to hide. A light breeze rustles the leaves of the tree above my head, and I relish in the cool touch of the wind as it gently nudges by me. In this moment, I want nothing more than to be blown away by the wind so I would not have to face Elijah. Having to look him in the eyes and see the heartbreak deals me a crushing blow. For over a month, I have been desperately trying to forget him and to put aside my love so I may continue on with my life as it was before we were reunited. Ever since I was let in on the situation here in New Orleans, I knew I would be seeing Elijah again one day. I thought I was prepared to see him, but the moment his eyes met mine all my resolve was washed away, and I felt the old embers of my love being stirred back into all-consuming flames. Now, I stand before him with a shaken confidence and nerves that make my stomach churn uneasily.

 Swallowing the lump in my throat, I try my best to keep my voice steady as I reply, "The issue called for my attention, and I could not ignore it, Elijah."

 "Elizabeth, what business do you have in New Orleans?" he repeats in a hard voice, stepping closer to me. His brow is furrowed, and his features have turned to stone.

 I feel my throat closing, and I try to breathe. In, out. In, out. "I'm here to sort out a family matter, Elijah."

 A look of confusion falls on him and he glances over at Sophie, who is standing a little ways away to give us privacy. "Do you mean the witches?" he inquires, turning back to me.

 I shift my weight and meet his gaze. "Yes, that is part of it."

 "You plan on driving Marcel out as well?"

 "I do, but I have my own reasons for wanting Marcel gone," I hiss, venom in my voice. I can feel anger bubbling up inside me, and I try to quell the rage. "He must be stopped."

 "And what if this plan of yours fails? You know Niklaus, Elizabeth. He will not agree to this so easily," Elijah tells me.

 I smile. "Oh, but I think he will. Once he sees that he's been replaced, he'll want to do anything to get back on the throne, even if it means working with the witches, because Niklaus likes to be in control. That is just how he is."

 Elijah falls silent for a long moment as he studies me. His eyes scan over my face carefully, taking in every detail. There's something in his gaze that makes my heart wrench, a certain look of betrayal. After a long time, he mutters, "Why?"

 "Why what?" I ask, furrowing my brow.

 "Why did you just leave, Elizabeth? Why couldn't you just tell me what was wrong? I could have helped," he says, his voice breaking. I can hear the pain in his voice, and I cannot bear to look at him.

 Turning my gaze away, I sigh, "It's complicated, Elijah."

 "Well, I am sure I would have been able to comprehend your complicated issue if you had just explained it to me," he says in a cool voice.

 I meet his gaze. His eyes have hardened, and I can see the walls coming up. He's trying to block the misery without having to flip the switch. It doesn't work. I would know. I have tried it many times before. "Elijah, I swear to you, all will be revealed in due time. I just cannot explain it at the present moment. Please try to understand," I plead, my voice laced with desperation. Elijah holds my gaze, his deep, brown eyes peering into mine. I can see the war raging within him; the hope that we may be able to reconcile, and I will open up to him, and the inevitable fear that this is how it will always be, that there is no pieces left to pick up.