PROLOGUE

Jayden

My eyes focus on Zander in the barely lit room. The lighting is seriously lacking as I absorb everything around me. It's funny to think about the vast difference compared to the pristine rooms I've been in before with my brothers. There's no privilege here, nobody catering to me, no one out there ready to cheer me on.

Z turns an old milk crate upside down and places it on the floor in front of me. It's like he can read my mind, I was a breath from telling him to take a fucking seat and stop the anxious pacing. After sitting down his eyes lock on my own. I know he's trying to give me time to get ready but fuck if he's not making me nervous.

I pull the hood of my sweatshirt over my head and close my eyes. The noises from outside the door get louder and louder, threatening to overwhelm me. I've never wanted this life, never cared for the attention or glory. Except there's no glory. Not this time and possibly not ever. If I make it out of this can I even call myself a winner?

"You've got this Jay. The effort you put in is going to pay off and I'm not just saying that to blow smoke up your ass." He looks at me thoughtfully. "You have one thing he doesn't... motivation. Think about that if you get into a bind or backed into a corner. Georgie is why you're here right now, she's what you're fighting for. Don't forget that."

I nod my head finding my throat too dry to speak and stand up. My arms move back and forth over my chest as I begin shaking out my muscles. My head rolls from left to right working out the last few kinks. As I jump up and down the adrenaline works its way through my veins. I've got this.

There's three loud knocks on the door. Some asshole letting me know it's time to leave the solace of my shitty dressing room and get my ass out there. Unzipping my hoodie, I throw it to the side and wipe my palms on my jeans. Zander remains seated staring at me, like he wants to say more but decides not to. I don't need a pep talk, no. What I need is to head out there and get this done. Take back my fucking life.

"Let's go," is all I say before Zander stands and walks to the exit.

We're shoulder to shoulder staring at the door, taking in the shouts and cheers just a few short feet away. It's like neither of us want to open it, turning this nightmare into a reality.

Zander turns and pulls me into a tight hug. "I have your back, no matter what. Remember that."

Once again nodding, unable to find the words to express what's going through my head, I place my hand on the door knob and turn. I pause before I pull it open and take a deep breath. When my song starts playing and the screaming becomes deafening just outside the door, the corners of my lips tip upwards... it's show time.