Chapter One: The Children of the Stars

"We give thanks to the gods of the Earth, who built our bodies from clay and moss." The High Priestess walked along the line of the royal family, dipping her hand into a bowl until her fingers were coated black. She painted thick, black stripes down each of the member's arms.

Lark fought back a grimace as the Priestess approached her. She knew better than to flinch under the scrutiny of the Priestess, her family, and the hundreds within the church watching the ceremony. The night was bright and vibrant and Lark wanted to ride her horse, Prince, around the lake and feel the icy waters splash around her ankles.

"We give thanks to the gods of the sun who warmed our bodies and gave us blood and breath."

Two lines of red paint along the collarbones.

Lark's younger brother, Torrance, barely stifled a giggle as the Priestess applied it. Credence elbowed him and the twins shared a bickering look before the Priestess coughed lowly and they snapped back into attention.

"We give thanks to the gods of the stars who brought us light from the heavens. We give thanks to the gods of the stars who brought us knowledge and wisdom and who bestowed upon the world the line of the Starborne, those who strive to rule with justice while protecting the human race."

The Priestess pressed her thumb, coated in white, against the star that was engraved upon Lark's brow. She had had the marking since the day of her birth; it was a tradition in the Starborne family to distinguish them as royalty.

The Priestess finished the ritual with Rhea, the youngest member of the Starborne family. Turning to face the silent crowd, the Priestess raked her eyes over the packed pews. "We gather in this holy place to celebrate the ascension of Princess Rhea to a true member of the Starborne family."

Lark's mouth twitched at the word 'true,' but she clapped along with everyone else. The hall was thunderous with applause, their people beaming as the youngest child stepped forward, darling in her amber dress. It had been crafted especially for this day; for weeks, Rhea had been asking each morning whether or not the dress was finished and she'd nearly broken out into tears of happiness when it was finally in her hands.

She was six years old as of last month.

"Show them, Rhea," the Priestess said from the Princess' side. Her lush velvet garments draped along the floor, bringing with each movement a whispering sound.

Shy now under the gazes of hundreds, she dipped her head, hiding her face. Slowly, she lifted a hand and Lark sucked in a breath, waiting along with everyone else. There was a small, sick part inside of Lark that wanted nothing to happen, but she pushed that thought away just as a small flame grew from the center of her sister's hand.

Rhea lifted her arm and grinned as the crowd cheered her name. "Rhea, Rhea, Rhea!"

Lark had never heard them say her name like that. She glanced along the line of her brothers and sisters, eyeing their smiles and their whooping sounds of encouragement, and at the proud look in her parent's eyes as they watched their youngest child be accepted into the family, officially.

"Long live Princess Rhea, to whom the gods have given the gift of fire! Long live the King, the Queen, and the nine Princes and Princess of the realm!"

The eleven members of the Starborne family stood at the altar with the markings on their bodies and the stars on their brows as their people cheered for them. It was said that the gods of light gave the first human an ability, or a power, that would allow for him to rule effectively over his people and gather their respect. This trait continued through the family line of royalty. When these abilities appeared within the child, an ascension occurred to celebrate.