[1] Duty Of Royalty

Duty...

The word circles around your head as you are passed out on the ground. The distant screaming of your maid had faded into the background, you listened to your surroundings.

The sound of chatter among people and waves crashing, the ground was moving.

You were on a ship.

Your eyes fluttered open, feet shuffled around you and you heard what sounded like your servants screaming in the distance.

The noises were drowned out as your eyes grew heavy again. You felt a hand shaking you although you had lost consciousness already. You wanted to desperately know what was going on.

Your body ached.

It was only this morning that you were travelling by carriage with your trusty maid and soldiers to be transported to the Kingdom of Alferasia.

It was your parents intention to marry you off to their young king and unite your Kingdoms. They had resources your Kingdoms did not, it was a great opportunity to provide a better life for your people.

You had no say in the matter of course, but you knew it was your duty as the princess to bring peace to your two Kingdoms

It was all for the people of Edena, Your people.

They were all counting on you.

However, that plan was interrupted the moment your carriage had been attacked.

The people that attacked you...

Your eyes shot open and you quickly tried to adjust to your surroundings to see what danger you were in.

But the room was very dark.

A metallic smell assaulted your nose almost immediately. You had to wait a moment for the room to stop spinning before your eyes settled on the scrapes of red pigment on the wall ahead of you.

You were quick to realise that the red pigment was in actuality dried blood.

You felt your heart start pounding as you once again realised the severity of your situation.

You needed to leave right now.

The weak light through the barred window made it difficult for you to tell the size of the room you were in.

You squinted hard at the wall, before turning to another and coming to the deductive conclusion that these directions wouldn't offer a way out.

You continued searching, scanning the rest of the room before feeling your heart drop. You had only now noticed the tall man who had been watching you without a word about a foot away.

He was sat on a chair whilst staring at you with an unreadable expression.

Just how long had he been staring at you?

You quickly pushed your back against the wall and drew your knees to your chest despite your aching limbs, attempting to create as much distance between you and him as possible.

You managed to muster the courage and spat out.

"Who are you?"

"Why am I here?"

...

He continued staring.

You couldn't see his features clearly in the poor lighting, although his piercing, golden eyes difficult to miss. You found it difficult but you held his gaze.