Yellow Cars

"Nothing can hold you back right?" Derick snorted. 

"Only if I'll be able to complete my 100 yellow cars here." I answered.

Derick and I was best friends since God-knows-when. We grew up together, went to grade school together, and even joined the same clubs on high school together. It's such a pain thinking that we need to separate for our college degrees- he'll pursue going to an art school while I'll continue my family's line of being businessmen and women. We sort of stood as shadows for each other, only that it doesn't matter when the sun was up, for we'll be there for each other anytime.

"Rubbish." He answered.

When I was in kindergarten, our teacher said that the rarest color for cars was yellow. She was indeed right; how are you going to paint your car yellow while knowing that it's the most painful color for the eyes? Except of course if you really meant hurting people's eyes.

She added as well, that seeing 100 yellow cars was close to being a miracle- more like meeting your soul mate in this overpopulated planet.

'Except for cabs, of course. Cabs don't count.' I remember her putting such a strong emphasis and sarcasm on that statement.

"No. I actually had seen 96 already. Four more cars to go, then we'll see, maybe I'll stay here with you, so that I'll be able to find the guy for me." I demanded, trying to conceal the hopeless romantic in me... which of course, needless to say, is the hardest thing to do.

"But I only got one day left. I think I really need to pack my bags now. I won't be able to complete that hundred over night. So you'll bring me to the train station tomorrow morning right?!" I probed

"You bet. Just ring me up. You know how deep I slumber sometimes." Derick answered normally. As if I hadn't lived with him for his whole life. Or better yet, as if he is very sure that I won't leave him.

This freak. Can't he just hesitate a bit or act as if he doesn't want me to leave... yet?

"Okay then car-io', better pack your bags now." He dismissed as he walks towards their house which is right in front of ours.

I didn't move yet. I sat very still on the hollow block we both sat on just a moment ago. There he is, walking and humming vigorously as if there's nothing bothering in his mind. Haven't it sank to his shallow brain that I'm leaving tomorrow morning? And that probably, he won't see me for years and that everything we shared during our eighteen years of existence can suddenly be put into waste?

Maybe it is just me who thought that we shared something dear. Maybe he never saw me the way I saw him.

Maybe it is just me who find this departure so painful. Maybe he really wants me to leave so that he can go move-on with his life... alone.

I collected the few blots of reality in my mind and gathered my composure. I walk right towards our house turning my back on Derick. I'll pack my bags tonight, say goodbye's to my parents and to the people I know over the phone- and to Derick. 

------------------------------------------------------------

It's 2 a.m already, just four more hours to go before my departure, and I haven't dozed off even just for a second... my mind is withered over Derick's actions.

I took a peak over their house and saw his room's window. It was very dark over there, not even a candle light to make me think that he's writing such a heart-warming letter for me. I peaked in for a few more seconds, expecting that I'll hear some slight scratches of movement, you know, to verify my thought that maybe he can't sleep too, or that he's hiding in darkness wrapping up an awesome present for me.

Maybe he knows I am peaking over his window. Maybe that very moment I swept my curtain, he turned off his light to hide the surprise he's concealing deep within the shadows of his room...

Or maybe he's just fast asleep already.

I swept away the foolishness I had. I buried my self in my pink panda mattress which Derick gave me for my 8th birthday.

Why on Earth am I still using it now? 

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Derick! It's 5 a.m already. Better get ready now. I'll be leaving on 6."

"Oh what? Ah yes. Bree, can I just pass now? I forgot I'll be doing some artwork for my interview. It's okay for you, isn't it?

"Ahh. Yes. Of course. Your entrance exam comes first. I'll have dad to bring me on the train station. But Derick, you know that I'll be away for long. Right?

"Yes. Of course I do. You'll be away for good though."

"Then that means we won't be seeing each other as much as we do before. You, you know that right?"

"That I am not sure of." 

"Wait, wait what?!"

I asked, just as he put down the receiver.

Oh great. Derick didn't give anything for me to hold on, nor he'll be bringing me to the train station. Can't he just make this scene a little romantic just what I am seeing in films?! Or better yet, can't he just show even an ounce of dismay as I set off away from him?! It's as if he can't even wait for me to bid my farewell. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dad and I arrived on the train station just in time before my train's departure. I wore the cashmere sweater my mom bought for me yesterday, she said that cashmere coats are good, but nothing except her hugs can make me feel better. She was indeed right, the snow started to drip on my brown hair then all over me, the sweater kept me warm... but not really better.

"Be good Bree. I love you." My dad confessed before he kissed my forehead. I felt his lips were trembling and his hands were shaking as if he was obscuring such a huge boulder in his heart.

I was about to place my foot on the first door of the train when a familiar voice came shouting behind me.

"Bree hold up!" the man declared.

It was Derick... and is he wearing yellow now?

"I painted my car yellow!"

He shouted while waving his hands on his newly painted car. He painted it so recklessly as if he is not going to pursue a degree on painting. The color maroon, which was the original color of it, was still very visible on different parts of it.

"I bought a shirt with a yellow car on it!"

He shouted again as he shove his brown sweater off his body.

"Then I bought a yellow car necklace!"

He showed a small necklace with a yellow car as its pendant.

"That makes 100! Right?!"

"No! That just makes 99!"

I shouted back.

All of a sudden, a yellow cab parked beside Derick's car. He scuttled towards it and pulled the driver out of his vehicle.

"Now! It's 100!"

"That's a cab! Cabs don't count, remember!"

Right after I said that statement, he picked up a large bat of steel beside a trashcan in front of him.

He shoved the steel bat on the cab's "TAXI" sign and shouted again

"Now! It's not a cab now! So, you'll stay right?!"

I smiled; trying to conceal the hopeless romantic in me... which of again, needless to say, is the hardest thing to do... especially right at this very moment.