Cranky Bear Wakes Up Part 1

Many caves can be found in the forest, if you look hard enough. But this one was special. The cave stood well within a busy part of the neighboring woods, but it had a lonely feeling and was seldom visited. And here is why. Its owner had earned the nickname of Cranky Bear, and for good reasons. In the Springtime, when the snows melt and the sun and rain cooperate to bring out the leaves of the plants, and the rivers run fast and the insects buzz—this was the time, too, for Bear to emerge from his long winter nap. Not an unfriendly bear, not at all. In fact, he had a good nature, once you got to know him. But you must understand that not everyone is a bird—that is, not every creature sings happily at the rise of the sun. A recently awoken Bear also happens to be a little dazed and irritable—ESPECIALLY before breakfast. Because of this fact, creatures in the surrounding environment knew enough to leave Mr. "Cranky" Bear ALONE—at least in the Spring, until he had enough to eat, became more sociable, and came to visit you.

He stretched, and regretted having to leave his warm bed of leaves. "I feel so out-of-sorts, and I hardly know why. I must be hungry. Yes, that is it."

But the cave contained nothing to eat. He had forgotten to store some nuts and berries before going to bed in the Fall. So Cranky Bear had to venture out from the cave—and that only made him more irritable. The Spring is a wet season, and made his paws soggy. The sun made his eyes ache, and he blinked rapidly.

"Perhaps something salty," Bear announced, to himself. So he made his way down to the Running River. The cold water made his paw sting, as he tested the current. Before long, from a safe distance, Fish broke the surface near the shore and decided to speak. "Ah, Mr. Bear," he called out (no one dared to call him "Cranky" to his face). "Why are you so reluctant to enter the water? Could it be that you do not enjoy leaving your familiar surroundings? Is someone always looking to force you out of your home, where you find it hard to breathe?"