Chapter 1

Be brave... That's what people always tell me. Just be brave. But you know what? It's hard to be brave all the time. Some times you have to be the opposite of brave. You have to be the coward.

I've been living with Cystic fibrosis (CF) my entire life. CF is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder that affects most critically the lungs.

I was never supposed to reach the age of five. I'm almost sixteen now.

First it was 5 years old, then it was 12, and now they think about mid to late 20s.

I've only lived as long as I have because I became guinea pig, and became a part of the test drugs for CF experiment. otherwise I would've been dead 11 years ago.

Cystic fibrosis is just something you were brought into this world with.

When people look at me they don't really see a sick child, as they would to some with cancer. I'm small for my age. I weigh 100 pounds and I'm 5'1. I can play sports but I always have to be cautious. Throughout the day I have to take so many pills and medication, it's ridiculous.

When I was little and before I went to school, my parents and daycare workers would have to do this thing called 'cupping'. It's when your hand is formed into a cup or C formation, I laid across the lap and they his my back with my side of they hand.

Everyone hated doing it but it felt good. 'Cupping' broke up the phlegm in my lungs so I can cough it out. As I got older I didn't need 'cupping' because my lungs were strong enough to break up the phlegm by itself.

Now that I'm older I don't cough nearly as much and I feel as if it was getting better but CF will never go away.

So I bet your wondering who the hell am I? I mean you know I'm almost 16 and a little bit of my Cystic fibrosis story but you don't know who I am.

My name is Connor Joyce. Yes I am a girl. I was born in this little city called Owen Sound, Ontario Canada but now I live in Toronto.

This story I'm about to share with you is not my CF story (although I did tell you a little bit) but my story about the last 6 mouths of my life.

~Flashback~

Six months ago.

I sat out in the little courtyard at the back of Sick kids (Hospital for sick children in Toronto). I waited for my dad who was just filling out the rest of the paper work. Like I did every second Wednesday of every month.

The bitter November wind nipped at my exposed skin. I pulled my coat closer to my body trying to make more heat. Just then my father walked out the front doors dressed in his suit. He is a businessman, always groomed nicely and you'll never see him in anything but a suit. If he could wear a suit as pajamas he would and I love him for that.

The two of us walked to the car in silence. I studied him carefully as we walked, he is always one to walk with a purpose even if his doesn't know where he'll end up. We got into the car and started driving home, still in silence. The expression on his face was unreadable and I couldn't tell what he was thinking about.

We pulled into our driveway and got out, still nothing. my dad unlocked the door and opened it. "I'm going upstairs to the office" He said without looking at me.

"Okay, i'll probably go hang out with Angelo" I told him. He just nodded and went upstairs.

Angelo is my best friend, well really he's my only friend. People always look at me like I'm an injured puppy when they find out I'm sick but Angelo didn't.

When I first moved to Toronto I didn't want to get close with anyone because I didn't want to hurt them in the end, but Angelo broke down the walls I built up around me.

Angelo is quiet and I'm quite loud, it works for us.

I ran up to Angelo's front door that's just across the street and down a few houses from mine. I rang the doorbell and waited. A few seconds past when he opened the door. "Hey Connor" He smiled and said. "How to the doctors appointment go?" He asked as we walked inside.

"I think it went well." I told him. "But my dad didn't seem very happy. I don't know if it was something the doctor said to him or something else but whatever it is I hope is passes soon."

"I know how your dad is. He'll get over it soon" He said then hugged me.

"Thanks"

"Oh I almost forget"he said remembering something. "The guys are coming over tomorrow. Kyle and his girlfriend are flying in at noon and they're staying a week with my family."

"That's awesome!" You see, in the summer that just pasted Angelo was on TV show called the next star supper group. He was put into a group with 4 other boys, Kyle, Amer, Ryan, and Curtis. They call themselves Rebel Coast.

"Yeah and you will finally get to meet them" That is true. I've never actually met these 4 other boys.

"Can't wait!"

"Me too." He said as he flopped on his bed. "So how's Shaina and Turner?"

Shaina or Shay and Turner are my siblings. Turner is just a year younger and Shay is 4 years younger. I've always thought Shay was my replacement when I die. Her middle name is my first name. Shaina Connor Joyce.

If that doesn't say replacement, I don't know what dose. But I don't hate Shay for it or my mom and dad.

"They're good" I told Angelo.

"That's good" he said.

* * *

After I got home my dad was in his office and Shay was asleep according to Turner. I climbed upstairs and crawled into my bed. Letting sleep take over me quickly.

----------------------------------------------------

Brand-new fanfiction up! Yay!

Dedicated to @funnyemblem