Untitled Part 1

It was the first day of first grade. I was only six years old. I remember staring at the TV and seeing black dots falling knowing those were people. As a young girl, I couldn't understand why this happened. That night my father and mother explain to me what happened and how 3000+ people died. I knew what death was but I still couldn't wrap my head around the number 3000. It was so hard for me and it shook me.

We had a Friday assembly and our school honored those who had died in this horrible attack. Even to this day I still can't wrap my head around the fact that 3000 people died in one day. Even though I was so young I still remember watching it. My aunt and uncle live in New York and I asked my dad "are they OK?" My dad said that they were fine but they stayed in their apartment that day.

It took me a few years to realize the actual extent of what it happened that day. I wish it never had happened but I think everybody does. When you have loved ones taken away from you in a senseless act of terror for an ideology from another place, it is not fair at all. That day we became one country. The world watch with horror as people died. That night I held my family close to me knowing that we were OK.

Me being young, naïve and caring I sent letters and wrote messages to families who lost loved ones. I knew I was not going to get a response back but still made me feel like I did something for those who need it. I always remember the people who lost their lives as well as the firefighters who died trying to save others. I know that it is hard for so many parents, sisters, brothers, and children to know that their families were torn apart in one day. I will never forget that day when I stared at the TV and saw 3000 lives die. I will never forget I will always remember.