Beyond the Veil: Magus

Chapter1

Dropping to the ground and pressing back hard against the wall, Shawna tried to blend into the night shadows. Her heart was pounding faster than a racehorse on the home straight of the Grand National, and she worried that it was loud enough to hear clear across the street.

Heat leached from her body, teased out expertly by winter's icy fingers despite layers of warm clothing. The skinny jeans she was wearing quickly became wet, soaking her backside and adding yet another thing to freeze to her body. Shawna looked to be in her mid-twenties, with high cheekbones that gave her face a strong look, and brown eyes that darted worriedly around.

Taking photos of the iconic skyline on a winter night had seemed like such a good idea as she planned it in her cosily warm studio flat. A bohemian adventure, where she could capture the soul of a city that blended so many cultures into something uniquely London. It was supposed to be a quick jaunt across the rooftops to snap off some postcard shots, and then be home in time to thaw out with a mug of hot chocolate to Newsnight.

But no, nothing was ever that simple in her life. Now she was out here and freezing in the bitter wind, trying to avoid a geriatric security guard and grainy CCTV cameras. At least she hoped they were grainy. They always seemed to be.

The worst part about it was that she had known coming here was stupid. The place itself looked ominous, an Edwardian teahouse converted into a bunch of tiny offices, its weeping façade grimy with age and neglect. There was probably a good reason a building with this kind of view hadn't been gentrified.

More than that though, the main reason for cursing herself was that she had known something was going to happen. Ever since childhood deep rooted instincts had warned of oncoming danger, and usually she followed them. Except at times like these when her curiosity won out.

Straining every sense, Shawna listened for an alarm or the sound of pursuit. Time seemed to stand still, her ragged breathing sounding thunderous in her ears. Chancing a glance around the edge of the wall, she saw the door begin to open and quickly edged back.

She waited what seemed an eternity, but was in reality only a few seconds. The crunch of work boots announced the proximity of the security guard and she tried to push herself further back. Shawna said a silent prayer as he came closer, hoping he couldn't see her footprints. His torchlight was a pinprick of danger to her blanket of darkness and night-shadows.

"Come out then you little gits" he called. "I know you're up here somewhere and I've already called the police. Ain't no point hiding."

Shawna chanced another peek and saw him stood there, flicking the light back and forth in a vain attempt to see further than the few feet it illuminated. Cursing about layabout kids, the guard carefully made his way across the slick surface.

"Come on then, I know you're up here somewhere you toerags. It'll be harder on you if the police have to come up and dig you out."

When it was clear no answer was forthcoming the old man grunted and continued his search. Shawna watched as he waddled towards her and looked around desperately for somewhere to hide. She didn't see anywhere obvious and decided the safest bet would be to just edge around the wall.

The guard came closer to her, his light flickering dangerously close to where she was hiding. Holding her breath, Shawna edged backwards to escape notice. As he approached one side, she snuck backwards around the other. Miraculously the plan worked, and the old man peered around again with a slightly confused expression.

Thirty seconds more were all it took to convince him that the warmth of his room was infinitely more appealing than a half-heard noise and a possible confrontation. He turned away and picked a careful path back, his heavy tread slowly receding until the corrugated door slammed shut again.