World Adoption Day

• Dedicated to all the adoptive/adopted people!

ALISHA                         

Keeping busy was the best way to deal with pain, and that was exactly what I was doing. It was Saturday even before I realized, a very special day for me. We were not gonna celebrate world adoption day, since it didn’t mean anything for us. It was a regular day around the house, but for thousands it could change lives.

We had decided to keep a special event to promote adoption, and even with the less time we had managed to come up with a decent show. A movie presentation, Q&A round, and some videos about other adopted celebrities and non-celebrities. There was a cute four tier cake to be cut, and other fun things to attract attention of the crowd. We convinced other famous people to promote this event on social networking websites, so I was sure it’d get noticed. But hell, I was still nervous.

I wore striped red top and black jeans with nude pumps. Nothing over the top with my shoulder length hair either. Checking my pod, I found my numbers on the line of good and bad. Fantastic.

“Thanks for joining in.” I got into Salman’s room. He had the biggest following in the family, and was one of the biggest stars ever created. So him being involved made a huge difference.

“Kidding me? I had to do this.” He got up and we both went downstairs. Arbaaz and Sohail were not gonna be here, and Arhaan was at his grandparents’ place. So it was just me, Salman and Malaika. I had pulled Sara into coming since she stayed up all night to get everything sorted out.

Sara was also wearing black jeans and a blue shirt with silver belt. It looked cute with her curly hair and innocent features. We got into a BMW while Malaika and Salman got into the Range Rover.

“I am so excited!” Sara chimed and I agreed with her. She had always been the one to help around. Her dad had a NGO too, and she ran the marathon for it. And whenever I needed, she made sure to help us out at Being Human.

We reached Taj Lands End sooner than expected, and got down the car with every ounce of confidence we had. Walking down the entrance, I made sure to smile and wave at the crowd around. Sara was a little more hesitant, but still walked gracefully.

Getting into the conference room, I sat down at the front row beside Salman. Paparazzi were going insane clicking photos of people we had invited. Honestly, we had invited everyone we knew, but only a handful turned up. By some I meant a few good friends and some ass-kissing desperate people. Everyone knew Salman influenced the casting in movies, so everyone tried to please him. But he wasn’t blind, he could see right through them.

Bebo was one of the people who had no ulterior motives when she walked in. Giving me a warm smile, she took her seat beside Malaika. Slowly, everyone came in and the show started.

This movie was short, focusing on two kids. A rich one, a poor one, both living completely different lives expect one thing. They were both adopted. They both told us how grateful they were, how lucky they were and how good a deed adoption was.

“It proves you are human before everything.” The poor kid said into the camera, his eyes full of contagious positivity, “I hope everyone like me gets someone to call their ma.” The camera focused on his adoptive mother.

“Families are not always blood related. Mine isn’t.” The richer, well off kid smiled at his dad. The room went dark, only hushed whispers heard around. I wiped away the single tear on my cheek and Salman looked at me with worry. Assuring him, I nodded once.

It was just good to know that so many lives had changed due to adoption. Mine had changed drastically along with millions of people. I saw hope, so much hope for the other million who needed help. Parents who couldn’t have kids, kids who didn’t have parents- they both could help each other out of their pain.