Prologue

Everything seems to be happening in slow motion. 

One second I'm turning, ready to face the one who wants me dead, the next thing, there's a red-hot pain in my side. I freeze, my body going into shock

They say your life flashes before your eyes as you're about to die; it's true. My life races before my eyes like a montage, but instead of music, I hear shouts and screams. Am I screaming? I'm not too sure. I know I'm falling, though.

My legs give out, and I clutch my side. My fingers meet a sticky, warm substance oozing out of my wound. 

My body quivers from the pain, and the next thing I know, I'm staring up at the ceiling. I hear someone call my name, but it sounds faint. It sounds familiar, but maybe I'm imagining it. My mother's not here, yet I find myself calling her name. I need my mother. She was right. She warned me nothing good would happen from this.

There's a loud bang, followed by an unbearable silence.

My side burns with the pain, and the world around me blurs. Tears flow, and I can't stop them. The pain has become intolerable. I taste blood in my mouth, and I can feel my body going into panic mode.

Someone's beside me, and they grab my hand. I try to wretch it free, but I'm weak and their grip is tight.

"Emily," he says. "Stay with me, please? Please, please, please." 

I focus hard on him, feeling dizzy. Jason. 

My breathing comes out ragged, my chest heaving from the effort. Every movement sends a new wave of pain through my body. My lip is swollen from the punch, and from the pain in my arm, I know it's undoubtedly broken. 

The world seems to be fading because of the blinding pain in my side.

Jason pulls out his phone, and I can see his hands are shaking and covered in blood. Not my blood; part of me knows it's not his either.

"Help, please, my friend's been stabbed-"

The world grows dark.

_________________________

IamveryawarethisisaVERYshortintroduction, butseeingasit'saprologue, Ihopeit'sokay. So, pleaseletmeknowwhatyouthink! I'dlovetogetreviews, becauseIwanttodedicateachaptertomyreaders. So, pleaseletmeknowwhatyouthink!!

Ihaveneverwroteafirstchaptersoshortbefore. It'sstrange.