The Introduction

The Introduction

“As cupid, it is your job to activate the arrows. Like the humans, we’ve developed more advanced technology and no longer have to go through the difficult task of aiming and shooting the arrow. We just activate them.” His white sneakers padded against the tiled floors while his hands wove about in the air. He turned around every now and then to make sure I was listening and still following him through the white coated halls.

“How exactly do I activate them?” I heard a sigh escape before his feet slowly came to a halt in front of a large, white, almost stone like, door.

“You just tap them, like this.” His finger gently reached up to touch my shoulder.

“It’s just that easy. Now, you can decide if the humans see you or not. It’s like a light switch. You can either be invisible during the while that you’re cupid or you could be visible. Maybe you want to switch it up a bit, who cares. You’ll be assigned two people and once you finish that assignment, you’ll be assigned two more. Some assignments may be very easy, some not so much. You can’t activate the two lovebirds right away, it takes time. You must figure out their current relationship and choose the right time to activate the arrows or you can mess up the balance and that’s when things go haywire. Understand?” Before I could nod my head he snapped his fingers. A small white envelope appeared with the names “Theo and Violet” written in bold, black ink.

“This is your first assignment. Good luck.” The large, thick door began opening, revealing a blinding light. A light hand pressed against my back, pushing me to move towards it.

“Oh, and Amias, don’t fall in love.”