extended summary.

After the disastrous death of her half-sister, Willow Chance-Moreno decided to live up to her last name (for the first time) and accepted a once-in-a-life-time opportunity: an academic scholarship to a prestigious prep school in New York City, Kingston Preparatory School. Leaving her quaint small town that she called home, in exchange of Manhattan's glittering skyscrapers. With her beyond-average intelligence, Willow never truly found a place where she could call home.

In the world of rich kids and glamorous teenagers who lived and breathed hedonism, Willow clearly was an outsider, blended into the dull background of the glamorous backdrop of New York's elite society. Until the chaotic and beautiful Vivian Ackerman, the so called It Girl of New York City's social scene, landed on Willow's life. Vivian took Willow under her wing, cementing her position in Willow's life as the anchor to navigate the murky waters of the school's elite society. With Vivian's friendship, for once maybe Willow could feel that she belonged somewhere. Even if her logical nature resisted Vivian's questionable behavior.

Looking at her new friend, Vivian illuminated everything Willow did not have: privilege, wealth, abundance of charm and clear-cut confidence. As Vivian spiraled out of control well beyond reason, it was up to Willow if she wanted to follow her friend's down the drain. Up to Willow to accept another helping hand from the determined rebel with a cause and Vivian's ex-best friend Katherine Jarvis, to whom Willow was living with in a student housing. On the other side, there was the cruel uncrowned queen of New York City's social scene Tatianna Winthrop-Petrova, whose complicated history with both Katherine and Vivian only pushed Willow to lay down the verdict.

Either way, Willow's choice would fracture several hearts in her wake, including her own.