Chapter 51 - New beginning

No one said anything. All the words had been said already. Now those gathered here only cried as Alonso's son, Afonso, threw his father's ashes on the cliff. As it was carried by the wind and scattered around, the newest Lord did his best to hold his tears.

After the ceremony was over, many nobles went to talk to Afonso. They gave their condolences and complimented Alonso, saying how great he was, how they would always miss him and how the kingdom had lost one of his greatest and loyal Lords.

However, though most of those words were sincere, the nobles' true objective was gaining favor with the young Lord. Even with Enrique by Afonso's side, they couldn't hide their greed.

"They're like vultures," Faela muttered under her breath, watching from a distance. "I do not even the boy."

Yes. He'll have to fight his father's battle now. Both on the field and outside, Tetsuko projected her thoughts to her new wielder. Just like Celia...

"That's the duty a noble's child must bear. So will their children." Faela turned to the cliff, where you could see the whole area from here. "And the fight is far from over... Despite what those idiots want to believe..."

The swordswoman clenched her first. The instant she did, her face winced. The wound from the fight against Alonso had healed, but her arm was far from back to what it used to. She took a deep breath to calm her anger and opened her hand.

Tetsuko couldn't blame her wielder. After Alonso's death, she told Celia everything that had happened after the noble was carried out of the room. Despite her tears, the Lord of Iron heard everything and sent a messenger to the Royal Court at once, explaining the threat from the worshipers wasn't over.

The Royal court sent their condolences, thanked her for all her efforts, gave her a title for protecting the kingdom, and promised to send compensation for her all financial loses. However, they dismissed her request for reinforcements, saying the threat was over and that they should focus on the bandits raging terror inside the boarders and the invaders outside.

They want to believe the threat of the Worshipers is over, that the healer who poisoned Alonso was just a lone survivor who wanted revenge, Tetsuko thought. They're fools. Just like in my old country, those on top rather pretend bad stuff aren't happening until it's too late, just to keep their comfortable lives going...

"Yes... Most nobles are like that," Faela agreed. "Peace has made them like this... Turned them blind to the threats lurking around the dark until it's too late..."

What do you plan to do?

"I'll fight, if that's what you're worried. I'm a warrior to the end."

It wasn't worried about that, but it's good to know.

"It wasn't?" Faela snorted softly. "I could swear you cared more about fighting strong opponents than to the fate of this country."

You're right. What I want is to become the strongest sword in this world. But a sword without a wielder is just a decoration... I'd rather die than to rust hanging on a wall like a prize... I need someone strong to wield me. I need you. So I'll help you save this country if that what it takes to become stronger, the soul projected her thoughts to her new wielder.

Faela flashed a cocky smile. "So I'm just a tool for you? A means to make you stronger? Normally is the other way around, you know?"

Tetsuko grew quiet for a moment. No. You're my wielder, not a tool. To me, a wielder is... a partner... That's the other reason why I'll help you. My previous wielders left me with their last wishes. Just because I'm not human anymore doesn't mean I'm so cold-hearted as to turn my back to them just because they died.