1980's - 9

"Guess what?" Nick asked as he approached Maya and Monica at lunch.

"Is it the Queen concert that's happening in the next town over?" She asked with a knowing smirk.

Nick smiled at her and took a seat across from them. "Hell yeah, and I️ got a buddy than can get us tickets for $80," he adds. "We should go," he tells her enthusiastically. And Maya was so happy to see his face light up or once ever since they started dating.

Which is why it pained her to tell him no. "I️ can't sneak out," she tells him. "My parents would kill me."

"Omg Maya," Monica speaks up besides her. That concert sounds like it's gonna be totally bitchin'. You have to go," she encourages her.

She looks at them both, Nick giving her puppy dog eyes, and Monica giving her an enthusiastic nod. "I️...can't," she shakes her head, making them both groan. "I'm sorry," she says as she stands up to throw away her trash. "I promise, I'll make it up to you another day, okay? I️ just...there's no way my mom and dad will let me go to a concert an hour away with a boy he hasn't even met yet," she tells him as she makes her way back over to her spot at the lunch table.

Nick throws his head back and groans. "Fine," he huffs, "but you owe me like, a thousand kisses," he tells her, making her grin as she leans in and presses a kiss on his dimpled cheek. The bell rings and everyone separates to go to class.

Later that afternoon, Maya rides her bike over to Nick's house to let his mom know that she's unfortunately quitting. She practiced what she was gonna say repeatedly, creating scenarios and answering any pretend questions she might have in her head. "It's not you," She thought, "it's my family. They just don't want me working here anymore..."

As she nervously knocked on Nick's front door, she was surprised to see his step-dad answer instead of his mom. "Mr. Chandler?" She questioned.

He scowled at her but not before scanning her up and down, his eyes sticking particularly on her exposed legs as she decided to wear a high waisted jean skirt like she's seen Kelly Kapowski wear many times before. Feeing self-conscious, she shifted slightly before adjusting the backpack on her back. "Is...is your wife here?" She asked politely, catching his attention again.

"No, she's still stuck at work. What do you want? You're not supposed to work today," he says as he turns to walk back inside. "Hey, come in and shut the door, will ya? You're letting all the cold air out," He scolds, making her hurriedly step in and shut the door behind her.

"I'm sorry to bother you on your day off," she apologizes, "but I️-"

"You got a boyfriend Maya?" Mr. Chandler asked all of a sudden, catching her off guard.

"W-What?" She splutters. "Excuse me?"

"Pretty girl like you, I️ would assume you have a boyfriend," he shrugs casually, either ignoring how uncomfortable she is or just doesn't care.

Maya shifted uncomfortably. "No...I️ don't. My dad doesn't let me date," she quickly explained. "Mr. Chandler-"

"Would you stop calling me that? You're making me feel old," he snapped. "Harry is just fine."

Maya nodded quickly. "Right, Harry," she corrects herself before continuing, "I️ just came here to-"

"You know something Maya?" He interrupts her once again, making her shut her mouth and annoyingly glare at him. "I️ agreed to let you babysit for us because you seemed like a really good girl," he reached into his pocket for a cigarette and a lighter. Maya timidly watched from a distance, not liking where this was going. "But I️ can tell you have a little bit of bad in you like my step-son does. Like all teenagers do," he said as he lit his cigarette, taking a puff. "And you know what teenagers do a lot, Maya?"