Chapter 1

A pair of ferrets crawled out of Mr. Woods's pant legs to attack his shoelaces as he prepared to make an announcement. The whispering sixth-graders' own companions mirrored their partners' anticipation. Centipedes skittered over fidgeting hands, and a deer stamped its hooves against the floor.

Taylor drummed her fingers against her desk. Not a single animal echoed her emotions, although the other companionless students shared her mixture of anxiety and hope. Could this be the catalyst she needed to finally attract companions of her own?

"Alright, settle down," Mr. Woods said. He chuckled as his ferrets chattered in protest. "You all know what time of year it is, but I have to get the boring part out of the way before we get to the cool stuff. Kind of like how we'll have to cover photosynthesis before getting to genetics."

"Or like how we have to dig for worms before we can fish," Taylor whispered to Eliza as the other students muttered their annoyance. "You still up for catching bluegill this weekend?"

"For sure." Eliza's hummingbirds whizzed around her head like emerald comets. "I just gotta make sure I stay near some flowers. These little guys are always hungry."

Taylor stretched out a finger, but the little birds wouldn't so much as glance at the makeshift perch.

"You will present your companion showcase project on November 1st, and it will count as a test grade," Mr. Woods said. "You will be judged based on how well you integrate your companions, whether they play a direct role in your project or indirectly inspired it, as well as your ability to explain how your project reflects you as a person. Those of you who do not yet have companions may focus your project on any animal you would like to be your companion, although you must be able to thoughtfully explain why you want them."

Half a dozen hands shot up.

"No, you may not say you want a lion just because they look cool."

After a chorus of groans, only one hand remained.

"No, you may not say you want microscopic companions. I need to be able to see your project, unless of course you want a zero."

The last hand went down.

"Now, on to the part you actually care about." Mr. Woods smirked as silence filled the room. Taylor held her breath, and Eliza's hummingbirds came to a stop in her blond hair. "The project that is judged to be the most creative and well-executed will win a mystery prize."

A chorus of excited whispers broke out. "I heard last year's winner had an alligator," one kid said. They glanced at the fish tank full of bayou water Mr. Woods had kept from the previous winner's project. Tiny fish swam in and out of the holes scattered across the driftwood inside. "Or maybe it was a water moccasin. It was some sort of reptile, anyway."

"I heard they got to be on a parade float," said another. The lizard on their head puffed out its rose-colored throat.

"Gee, I'd be happy just to pass. D'you think my possum can do any tricks besides playing dead?"

The bell announcing the end of the school day also signaled the beginning of weeks of planning and excitement. The September sun greeted Taylor and Eliza with pavement-scorching heat that sent them scurrying from one patch of shade to the next on their way home.

"With my luck, I'll be in high school by the time I get my companions," Taylor said as she ran a hand through her frizzy hair. "Do you think animals hate me or something?"

"No way," said Eliza. "I bet it's taking so long for them to come because they're all fighting over who'll get to follow you."

"I wish. How'd you get your hummingbirds, anyway? I always thought you'd get foxes or something like that."

Eliza shrugged. "I was helping Mom plant some tulips on Saturday. At first, I thought they were just happy to see the flowers, but I guess they liked me too."

"Ooh, do you think all I have to do is feed some animals?" Taylor took a fistful of grapes out of her lunchbox and waved them above her head. "Anybody hungry?" she yelled.

Eliza's hummingbirds chirped in alarm, and a raccoon dashed up a tree to glare at Taylor from the safety of the branches. Its ringed tail lashed as it curled its lips into a snarl.

"Yeah, I'm sure yelling and waving fruit around will win them over," Eliza said with a laugh. "But seriously, don't worry about it too much. I bet you'll get something super cool before you know it."

"I hope so. What do you think I'll end up getting anyway? A deer?" Taylor scowled. "Hm. Maybe that would be a bit big. What if it got its antlers stuck in the doorway?"

"Maybe herons. Then you could teach them to fish for you." Eliza swatted at a hummingbird that had tangled itself in her hair. "Teaching them not to nest in your hair would be important too."

Taylor's short brown curls bounced as she giggled. "Aw, I think it's cute."

"It kind of hurts though."

"Maybe not birds then. How about raccoons? They're super smart!"

Eliza shrugged. "I guess, but do you really want to be followed by a bunch of smelly dumpster divers?"

"Ew, no!" Taylor grimaced. "When you put it that way, having raccoons sounds awful. What if I get something even worse?" The idea coiled around her mind like a python squeezing its prey tighter and tighter. "What if I end up with snails or skunks or —"

Eliza gently squeezed her shoulder. "You won't. You're too cool for that."

"If you say so."

For the rest of her walk home, Taylor kept glancing over her shoulder, half expecting to see black and white tails marching behind her.