Chapter|9.

*Alex*

After dropping Fallon off at work, I called my brother and Marco and asked them both to meet me at my house. I know I sound like a schoolboy and all, but I can't wait to tell them about the night I had with her.

I pull into my driveway and park my car in front of my house. My house is pretty big. Not like a mansion big— like my parents have, but big. It has five decent size bedrooms— mine being the biggest, a dining room that I never even sat in, a huge kitchen that I don't even cook in, a living room that I watch television alone in, one and a half baths, and a finished basement that I and my friends throw parties in and shoot pool.

Oh and let's not forget the yard. It's huge and as plain as any yard could get. All you see is fencing and bright green grass. It has an inground swimming pool with a jacuzzi attached to it. And a patio that I like to sit on at night and gaze up at the stars.

Yes...I'm a stargazer. So what!

If I'm being honest, I never wanted the house. I thought it was entirely too big for just me, but my mother is a very persistent woman. She fell in love with the house the moment her eyes landed on it. When I refused to buy it, she went behind my back and bought it for me and gave it to me as an early birthday present.

Meanwhile, my birthday was a month prior to that but I let it go, knowing she wouldn't take no for an answer.

I thought about downgrading, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. You should've seen the happiness in her eyes when she handed me the keys. Besides, I don't want to fight with her about it.

As I climb out of my car, I can hear Max, barking with excitement. Max is my German Shepherd. I found him three years ago walking down the highway. He was very malnourished and aggressive. You could just tell he has been abused.

It took me hours of bribery and smooth-talking, to get him to get close enough for me to slip a rope around his neck. He panicked for a good 10 minutes before he realized he wasn't going to get away.

After hundreds of dollars in vet bills and months of TLC— including training classes, he is happy and healthy. And that makes me happy. If it wasn't for him, I would be coming home to an empty house.

I unlock my front door and open it up. Max immediately jumps on me. His tail wagging a million miles a minute.

I laugh. "I missed you too, boy," I tell him scratching him behind the ear. He likes that.

Now don't go thinking that I just left my dog all night unattended. I contacted my neighbor, Rosa, to see if she would take care of him for me.

"Who wants to go outside?" I coo.

Max begins barking and jumping at the mention of being outside and I laugh. I set my keys down on the table beside the door and led him towards the back door, to the back yard. I slide the sliding glass door open and Max takes off like a bat out of hell. If my yard wasn't fenced in, he would probably run away.

I take a seat in the lounge chair on the patio and watch as he runs through the yard. He almost looks like a puppy.

I place my hands behind my head and close my eyes, taking in the peace. The only perk about living in a neighborhood like this is...no one bothers you. Everyone here pretty much keeps to themselves. Most of them are older as in senior citizens, so I'm not hanging out with them or anything. Now don't get me wrong, we all talk to one another when we see each other, but other than that, we stick to ourselves.

Max runs up to me and nudges my side. I open my eyes to see him staring at me with a stick in his mouth, waiting for me to throw it. I oblige, take the stick from his mouth, and toss it through the air. He takes off, nails scratching at the patio surface as he chases after the stick.