Chapter 1

One Year Before the Dracnor Invasion

Glen Price scanned down the script for tomorrow's morning show. There were more ad-lib segments than he was expecting. This would keep him on his toes. Good thing he'd chosen Blabber-mouth Brian as his co-host for the broadcast. Brian had a reputation as the most talkative bartender in space, and the passengers loved hearing his stories in the Lone Tree Pub.

The morning show had been established by his predecessor, but he liked the concept, so he'd kept it.

"Director, the bridge reports possible turbulence due to coronal ejection in the Alpha Centauri system," a middle-aged woman said.

"Keep an eye on it. If it looks like it'll cause problems when we arrive, we'll inform the passengers tonight."

"Uh, Glen," a tall man said. "The drummer in the jazz band has come down with terrible gastro."

"Don't you have a backup plan?"

"Yes."

"Then implement it."

"Right."

Glen wiped his forehead. He'd helped run plenty of cruises before, but this was his cruise. His first time in the role of cruise director, on his new ship, Jewel of The Stars. Being at the top brought a whole new level of stress. There was nobody above him to take problems to. The buck stopped with him.

He gazed down through the atrium glass to the bar down on deck twelve. Where was the Christmas tree? It was supposed to have been set up this morning. The first passengers would start appearing in less than an hour.

He tapped his wristband. "Price to Baxter. Where's that Christmas tree?"

"Just bringing it out of storage now, Director."

"Make it quick, please." Glen used the sternest voice he could muster. It wasn't natural. He'd cultivated a calm, friendly demeanour his entire career. It was important to always put passengers at ease. But he couldn't use that same approach with his staff. Would he ever get used to being the boss?

He needed a breather. Just a short break. He'd be no use to anyone if he snapped. He disappeared through a door marked Staff Only and made his way to a staff lounge.

A plump woman in a bright red tee shirt with a nativity scene beamed at him.

"I do love a Christmas Cruise. It's my favourite time of year." Her eyes locked with his for a second. "You're Glen Price?" She spoke with a Jamaican accent.

Glen nodded and pressed the button on the coffee machine.

"Welcome aboard. I was wondering when I'd get to meet our new cruise director. How are you liking Jewel of The Stars so far?"

"It's a beautiful ship. A little hectic right now, though." He picked up his steaming mug.

"It's always like this before we launch."

"Legend of The Stars was the same. But I was never the one at the top dealing with it all."

"You'll settle into it soon. I remember when I first took over as chief medical officer. It was like overseeing a mini hospital. I didn't let my anxiety show, but I sent up quite a few extra prayers that first voyage."

"Right. So, you're our doctor?"

"Rashona Clark."

Glenn shook her hand.

"Any big changes you're bringing with you?" She asked.

"Well, not really," Glen admitted. "Most of the program was established by the previous cruise director. I've just kind of inherited it all."

"That's the safe way to go. This ship is quite famous for its Christmas cruises."

"Yes. Still, I feel like I want to do something to make my mark. You know? Put my own signature on this cruise. I guess that sounds silly."

"Not at all."

"I wonder if I could get a sleigh to fly past the ship. Maybe park itself above the glass ceiling of the Lido deck. It would require some sophisticated holographics. We couldn't pull it off, not with such short notice."

"What about a star?"

Glen furrowed his brow. "A star?"

"You know, like the magi followed to Bethlehem."

Glen nodded slowly. "That would be easier to pull off. It's just a bright light. We could probably do it with a shuttle." He grinned. "Thanks, Doc. You've given me just what I needed."

Clark smiled. "Hey, it wasn't my idea. God thought of it first, you know."

Glen gave her a polite smile, not agreeing with, but appreciating, her religious perspective.