Chapter|28.

*Alex*

By the time I arrived home, it was well past midnight. As excited as I am to see Fallon; after almost two weeks, it's definitely too late to call her.

I lean my head back on my pillow and sigh. It feels so good to lay in my own bed.

Nothing compares to your own bed.

Max jumps up on the bed and lays his head on my chest. I chuckle and scratch him behind the ear.

My big man missed me.

As soon as the door was open, Max was on me like flies on shit; jumping, barking, and licking. He even pissed on my shoes.

"I missed you too, buddy."

I didn't know I was going to leave him for so long. Things just got a little hectic with my father's company, so I had to stay and help.

I make a mental note to buy my neighbor something special for helping me out with Max. Without her, I would have probably had to give him up.

My heart clenches at the thought.

I couldn't imagine my life without him.

I close my eyes and will myself to sleep, but it never comes. All I can think about is Fallon. The woman that I am head over heels in love with.

Yes, I said it. I am in love with Fallon. I didn't realize it until I left for LA.

Love! The word sounds foreign. I've never been in love before.

Yeah, I know what you must be thinking. How does he know he's in love with her; when he's never been in love before?

Well, let me just tell you, I know. My heart felt like it was about to shatter into a million pieces; as I watched her cry through the rearview mirror.

The first time I have ever seen her cry.

I swear I almost turned around right then and there. I don't know about you, but knowing that you are the source of someone's tears; especially someone you care so deeply about, hurts. It hurts a lot.

I'll never forget the way she looked later that night when I FaceTimed her. She looked as if she had been crying all day; which pulled at my heartstrings.

Of course, when I asked her about it, she denied it. But I could tell she was lying. Her eyes were swollen and her cheeks were flushed. And you could just tell that she didn't want to talk about it.

But it wasn't until the fourth night that I realized my true feelings for her. We were just about to hang up when I heard her sob before she hit the button.

And that's when my emotions came crashing down over me in waves.

Yep, you guessed it, I cried. I cried like a little bitch, and I've been a mess ever since.

The funny part about all this is—

Yes, there's a funny part.

—is the fact that my father suspected it for a while now. He said that he has noticed a change in me; that I'm happier than ever before and that I'm more attuned with everything; including the business.

He said that I was nesting; making plans for the future; which was weird. I thought women who were pregnant nested. Maybe my subconscious knows something I don't!?

A yawn finally breaks through my lips and my eyes begin to droop. I've been waiting for this moment for over an hour now. I close my eyes and let sleep consume me.