A Novel

< Margaux Alexandria Montecielo’s Point of View >

Everyone is busy at the backstage. Every candidate has its own uniqueness of beauty. They are all stunning tonight. My heart was full of excitement that the judges had chosen me to get into what I really wanted—to be beautifully this far.

                Shii, my schoolmate and talented makeup artist, had just retouched my makeup. I love the smoky eyes, pink rosy cheeks and the glossy hot pink lip color he applied. This is it. This is the night that I have been waiting for—to bring home the title.

                “Amazing, Shii, I love it!” I complimented Shii as I’d been seeing him at the mirror. He’s beside me giving a pair of new dangling diamond earrings. I put the pair on.

                “C’est magnifique, voila! J’adore Mademoiselle Margaux”, Shii trying to impress me how he learned basic French last summer, “You’re welcome. I’m sure you will be crowned tonight. It’s so surprising that you made it to the top five. You even outranked the other half Filipino half Aussie candidate. Your most possible hard competitor left is no other than Mikaela Flores”, he added. While Shii’s makeup on me is way better than the other gays, I have no choice but to get in love with this “face paint” masterpiece. But I’m still a little nervous of people’s expectations on me.

                “Thanks. But I’m not going to be overconfident with what you’ve just said”, I told Shii honestly and I started to recap on mind the tips I learned from YouTube about how to ace every Q&A portion. I tried to remember the possible questions about whatever connects to the current events. “Wait, I need to excuse myself. Patty, Patty, let’s go to the girl’s restroom”, I called my best friend Patty. She was busy talking to the photographer who will take my pictures onstage.

                “Oh my Gosh! You made it to the top five! ”, Patty hugged me, “Do your best for the Q & A, huh?”, Patty touched my hand. She noticed it was cold and told me I have to relax because everything will be alright. I’m always starstrucked to anyone who speaks in a British accent, just like Patty.

                I just nodded. We walked out the backstage almost to get through the dim lighting in order to reach the rest room. Patty noticed something I looked away, sure enough on where Patty’s pointing. Oh my God, it’s Hans, my boyfriend of two years, with my popular competitor, Mikaela. To my surprise, they’re clingy to each other.

                “Excuse me, Patty. Stay here and I’ll put some spotlight-y backstage show here”, I told Patty softly. While I walked I made sure my Sapphire evening gown will not make me tripped. I slowly went near Hans, somewhere on the perfect spot. I did my best strut and made my Christian Loubutin heels clink for some sounding attention. Everyone who’s present on our area turned heads to me.

                “Excuse me, honey--”, crawling my fingers through his spine up to his ears, “Seems a colony of ants sharing a not-so secret affair with the two of you, huh?”

                Hans was surprised and blushed. He became uncomfortable. Suddenly, a whore’s voice butted in after the whore decided to give up embracing Hans in a jiffy.

                “Oh, hi! Excuse me. You’re Margaux Montecielo, right? The Miss Congeniality?”, Mikaela on the bitchiest voice.

                “Yeah, of course, you know what I got that award for the seventh time. That’s because according to them I’m friendly. I’m friendly to all people except to all female dogs like you!” , I told her while raising an eyebrow.