Chapter|36.

*Fallon*

It's been three days since Alex was released from the hospital and sadly, I've noticed a significant change in him. A change that I don't know if he is aware of.

PTSD!

When talking to him, he will stare off into the distance, completely missing everything that you're talking about.

And let's not forget the night terrors; which is why I haven't been sleeping very well.

Good old, Night terrors!

How do I know? Well... I used to have them as a child when my mother left.

Mine would always start with me and my mother in a car and ended with just me on a back road somewhere, watching as the tail lights of the car disappeared in the distance.

Yeah, sucks.

It starts with him stirring in his sleep. Then it escalates to little mumbles that eventually get louder.

Some of the noises he makes sound... sound so horrifyingly painful, that I physically cringe.

He even has Max worried.

This morning I woke to Max staring at him with sad eyes as Alex struggled in his sleep.

It was a sad sight!

My father places a plate of food in front of me and takes the seat next to me. The smell of cheesy eggs and bacon is enough to make my mouth water.

He decided to stay with me for a few days to help; which I'm extremely grateful for. He is and always will be my lifeline.

"Rough night again?" He asks. My father is the only other person that knows about Alex's night terrors.

I swallow the remaining contents of my coffee and chuckle. "Do I look that bad?"

My father shrugs and leans back in his chair. "Maybe just a little."

Thanks, Dad!

"You know... something's is better unsaid."

"What?" My father laughs. "Do you want me to lie?"

What a dick!

You can tell I'm his daughter.

Just then, Max enters the kitchen. He walks over to his food bowl and sits down. I have to say that it's a nifty little trick that Alex taught him.

I go to get up but am stopped when my father puts his hand on my arm. "I'll get it, you finish your food."

My father is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet.

Well... that's until you piss him off, then he's an animal.

It's very rare when he gets that mad, but when he does... just runs.

Don't wait around to see what happens.

As I watched my father feed and water Max, I scarfed down my food.

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, cheesy eggs are the shit! Don't knock it until you try it!

When I was finished, I rinsed my plate and sat it in the sink. It's entirely too early to be washing dishes.

"Do you think he knows?" My father asks and I shrug. I'm not sure if he does or doesn't and I'm not sure how to bring it up.

"Knows what?" Alex's voice enters the kitchen and I freeze. His eyes jump from me to my father.

"Hey," I smile. "How did you sleep?"