Chapter 1

“It’s like drowning except I can see everyone around me breathing”.

“But why don’t you just swim up to the surface and breathe again?”

“It’s not that eas I mean simple”.

This is the fourth time we’ve been through our lines and I still keep stuffing up the last line. Cammi one of my closest friends and drama partner, was born to be an actress, her mother is a Film producer and her father is an actor, remembering lines comes naturally to her. She’s been in every school play since she could start talking. I joined drama class in year 11, even after a year of drama I still struggle-learning lines.

She looks at me, with her head slightly tilted.

I look at her confused face. Her eyes are the color of springtime ferns and her hair is red, long and uncontrollably wavy, it bounces next her thin face when she walks. I don’t know how we became friends. She came up to me at some point to introduce herself as the new kid and since then we’ve been like two peas in a pod.

I can’t stop looking at her face, into those eyes, I should probably stop but it’s addictive. She doesn’t break eye contact either.

The bell rings and I groan internally. Cammi jumps up and says: “ I need to get to class, we’ll go over them again later okay?”

I nod my head in response but she’s already half walking half jogging to class.

I don’t have any other classes today, so I plan on heading to the library. As I get up from the bench we were having lunch on my phone starts ringing and the caller ID shows a picture of my best friend pulling a funny face. “Hey Dylan, what’s up?”

“Hey Quentin, can you come over? Like right now! Please I’ll explain once you’re at mine.”

All I heard after that was the dial tone.

I run my hand through my thick, chestnut colored hair sighing.

15 minutes later I’ve parked my car in front of Dylan’s house and am making my way to his front door, when I see him peeking through the curtain. I swear I saw Cammi’s red hair behind him. Which can’t be she’s in class. While I’m grabbing the spare keys he gave me incase he looses his, the door swings open I’m greeted by all of my friends.

Chase and Mike immediately tackle me on the front porch. Mike says: “Happy Birthday” I can barely make out what Chase is saying because he’s laughing so hard but something along the lines of: “I can’t bloody believe you forgot your Birthday again, you idiot. I hear Dylan screaming at them “He was meant to come inside not be tackled”, they don’t seem fazed by it; they do get off me though.

Dylan helps me up. He’s got a huge smile plastered on his face. “You actually forgot again.” He shakes his head in amazement. “Doesn’t matter come on let’s go inside.” Even after all these years they’re surprised when I don’t remember. I self diagnosed myself with an extreme case of forgetfulness.

As Dylan and I enter his house, I search through the small crowd of people gathered in Dylan’s living room for her familiar red hair. People come up and congratulate me but im not paying them too much attention. Sure enough I find her towards the back of the room my view of her is obstructed by a bookshelf; looking past the shelf I can’t believe what I see.

Cammi’s locked lips with a kid called Sam, I barely know him. This shouldn’t surprise me; she’s never single long enough to notice me as more than a friend.

My shoulders still sag and I deflate until I feel hollow. Across the room Mike comes over to me and pats my back. Mike, Chase, Dylan and I are best friends and they all know how I feel about her. “Don’t worry bro your time will come”. I let Mike lead me to the beer pong table.

After a few rounds I realize I’m drunk. Bloody hell now I have to crash here. Before I can text my mum that I’m staying the night at Dylan’s, Sam comes up to me and I need to suppress the urge to punch him for Cammi’s sake.

 “You’re Quentin right?” His ugly nose scrunches up at the end of the sentence.

“Its Q” I reply in a deep voice. He’s shorter than I am which makes me feel better.

“Whatever man, Cammi sent me she says she wants to meet you outside.”

I push past him not bothering to reply. Wondering what she needs, I head out to the backyard. Its dark and the shadows start playing tricks with my eyes but I don’t see her anywhere, I start playing with my fingers, a nervous habit I have. I go back inside, through the living room I walk past a couple fighting, feeling bad for the guy I reach the front door.

Once I’m outside I see her silhouette, she’s sitting on the hood of my car, waiting for me. I take a moment to look at her. The soft breeze out here lightly blows her hair back and forth. I see her shivering.

I take my hoodie off intending to give it to her but the sudden motion alerts her of my presence. Startled she jolts up and trips.

The rest of it happens in slow motion.

I see the lights as she falls. I hear the tires screech as her face covered by her hair hits the ground. I see the car trying to swerve as her arms fall limply to her side.

All I can do is watch. I scream but I can’t hear it, I notice when my throat hurts. People rush past me. All the while I’m rooted to the spot, thinking its my fault. I faintly hear people asking me what happened. Someone calls 000.

I fall to my knees the image of lights illuminating her fall is all I can see. The screech of the tires is all I can hear.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note:

Hey guy

This is the first  Story ive ever written so dont hate, appreciate. I've got big plans for this story :)

Anyways hope you liked it.

I dedicated this Chapter to @Nobodytoday because she gave me the boost I needed to finish this off and publish it

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE

thank you lovelies xx