Chapter|39.

*Fallon*

Ray turns out the lights and pulls out the seat next to me. "Pretty slow night, huh?" He asks as he takes his seat.

"I'm not used to it being this dead," I tell him. I'm used to busting my ass from the time I walk in the door to the time I punch out.

"I have...but that was before your time," he jokes.

"God... you make yourself sound like a dinosaur," I laugh. He isn't that old! At least I don't think he is.

He chuckles and nudges my shoulder. "Well... I am much older than you!"

"How old are you again?" I'm horrible at remembering other people's age.

"I'll be sixty next month," he says shyly. I'm shocked. There is no way he is sixty. No fucking way!

"Get the fuck out of here. You're not sixty!"

He laughs. "Not yet!"

Holy shit! I would have never guessed. I thought for sure he would have said fifty or something.

"Wow!"

"Wow?" He repeats slowly.

"Yeah... I mean, you're hot for sixty." I slap my hand over my mouth. I can't believe I just told my boss he was hot.

And by the look on his face, he can't either.

My face has to be as red as a tomato. I can feel the heat.

Lord... if you can hear me, please take me now before I embarrass myself any further.

No?

I knew you never liked me!

"How?"

Damn him!

"Can we just drop it?" It's wishful thinking, I know. But a girl has to try, am I right?

"Ohh no!" He says with a grin plastered on his face. "Just how hot do you think I am?"

Me and my big mouth. I should have known he would have a field day with this.

"I am not getting into this with you," I laugh.

Note to self: Think before you speak!

"I'm just pulling your chain," Ray says and pats me on my back. "Besides, I already knew you had a thing for me."

Did he just...? Oh. My. God.

"I do not have a thing for you," I tell him matter-of-factly. "There is a big difference between finding someone attractive and having a thing for someone."

At least I think there is. There is a difference, right? God...I hate life right now.

"If you say so... anyway, is Alex picking you up or am I dropping up off?"

Thank God for the subject change. Nothing like an awkward moment with your boss.

"Yeah. He told me that he would be a little late." Alex messaged me earlier today and told me that he had to drop some paperwork off to his father before he picked me up.

"How's he doing?" I smile. I'm so grateful for the people that I have in my life.

"Good! He's doing everything in his power to get back to normal."

"Glad to hear," he says and turns to look at me. "Now... how are you?"

"I'm doing well."

"Just well?" He quizzes.