Chapter 1: Things In Common

"I guess we got a lot of things in common, huh?"

"-AND DON'T YOU EVER COME BACK HERE EXPECTING ME TO FEEL BAD FOR YOU!" Was the last thing I heard from my dad before I bolted out my front door.

Wiping away my tears, I ran down the empty street. I didn't really care where I was running, I just wanted to get away. I turned a left and two rights and ended up on a street that I never really hung around before. Not that I was lost, it's just I didn't have many (or any) friends that I could hang out and explore with.

I slowed down my pace and put in my earbuds, just so I could clear my thoughts and calm myself down. Softly, I started singing. "In this world of blindess, can't tell the good from the bad. There are de-" I was cut off when I heard a ruffling in the bushes coming from a few meters in front of me.

Cautiously, I took a step or two forward. "Who's there?" I called out while reaching for my back pocket. In there was a small switchblade that I'd been carrying since my 12th birthday. I may have stolen it from an old man, but why would he need it anyways? I certainly could put it to better use by protecting myself.

"Stop messing with me, man. Show yourself!" I flicked out my knife and pointed it right at the bushes where I heard the rustling.

"Hey hey hey hey hey, hold it!" Someone emerged from the shadows. "I ain't gonna hurt ya." It was JJ. A Pogue. I've seen him around before, hanging with John B, Kiara and Pope. I didn't have anything against them, it's just they never talked to me. I only decided to display the same behaviour.

"And why should I take your word for it?" I tilted my head while keeping the knife a safe distance in front of me. "Because," he started as he took a step forward, lowering his arms, "I have no reason to."

I bit my lip and lowered my knife, then tucked it away into my back pocket again. JJ half-smiled. "I know who you are. You're Lexi, I don't know your last name, and you have no friends."

My eyebrows went up and I crossed my arms in front of my chest. "Wow, that's a bit harsh, don't ya think?" I started tapping my foot as I put my weight on the other. "I prefer to be called a lone wolf."

JJ smirked and mocked the way I stood. "Okay, lone wolf. What're you doing walking down the street looking all depressed and stuff?"

My small smile faded and I continued walking down the street, but quicker this time. "Nothing." I put my earbuds back in and started blasting some Bon Jovi.

"Hey!" JJ jogged to catch up with me. "Jeez, you walk fast. It doesn't seem like nothin' so just tell me."

Stopping, I ran a hand through my hair. "If you must know, I have my fair share of family problems." JJ rolled his eyes. "Oh, you're one of those people who think you have a bad family just cause your mom yells at you for not washing the dishes, huh? Do you wanna know what other people have to go through? My-"

"Actually, no that's not it at all!" I stop in my tracks and turned my body towards him, standing only a couple inches away from his face. "If you really must know, my mom died when I was young and I live with my abusive father who's life goal is to drink and yell and beat me up cause I look like my mom." I stared right into his blue eyes and raised a single eyebrow.

JJ took a step back, but still maintained eye contact with me. He raised both his eyebrows challengingly. "Well, I guess we do have a lot of things in common, huh?"

AH this was interesting to write cause I was writing it right after I "broke up" with my two best friends 🤷🏽‍♀️. Anywayssss hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter!! Let me know what you think down in the comments!!